Gas log installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley

Minister of Fire
Apr 11, 2006
Ashfield, MA
Wasn't sure how to title that thread, since I know nothing about them, but a friend called a little bit ago with a question, so I'm probably just looking for more things to ask. His mother is thinking about putting a gas log insert into an existing fireplace - more for asthetic purposes rather than heat (I don't think the fireplace was really ever used much). It would use NG, not propane, I'm guessing, since I think that's what the boiler is fired from.

This is all going from memory now (since most times I've been over there - beer's been involved). I'd guess the house is about 25-30 years old, and pretty well insulated, and has a fairly centrally located fireplace on the first floor. The room that it would be in is roughly 300 or so square feet.

This is nothing that's going to be a self install - just looking to see what might be a good brand to look for, or other pitfalls to look out for and what type of questions to ask. As far as location - it would be around Westfield, MA

besides being installed by a gas fitter of plumber the only other permitting issues is damper removal and glass doors
Most of log sets are made with the same components the one that she likes the look of the flame is best

Thanks, Elk...

so the damper gets pulled out... does anything else generally go in its place to prevent heat loss when its not in use other than the glass doors (I'm assuming they generally have a pretty good seal?) No issues with size of flue (I'll make sure she has it cleaned first).

It does not have to be glass doors but something that can close it off when not in useAlmost all heat goes up the chimney
If it is clean and the flues in decent shape the hardest part is the gas piping. I errored the set its self can be setup by the retailer contractor,
but gas piping requires a plumber of gas fitter.

BTW does harry sell them what about Lowes fire sale clearing out seasonal stock? Soon that will be Home Chepo

Harley said:
Wasn't sure how to title that thread, since I know nothing about them, but a friend called a little bit ago with a question, so I'm probably just looking for more things to ask. His mother is thinking about putting a gas log insert into an existing fireplace - more for asthetic purposes rather than heat (I don't think the fireplace was really ever used much). It would use NG, not propane, I'm guessing, since I think that's what the boiler is fired from.

This is all going from memory now (since most times I've been over there - beer's been involved). I'd guess the house is about 25-30 years old, and pretty well insulated, and has a fairly centrally located fireplace on the first floor. The room that it would be in is roughly 300 or so square feet.

This is nothing that's going to be a self install - just looking to see what might be a good brand to look for, or other pitfalls to look out for and what type of questions to ask. As far as location - it would be around Westfield, MA

I wouldn't burn a fossil fuel for only aesthetic purposes. I inherited a gas log set from my home's former owners and they just sucked... all the heated air out of the house. Don't do it. Go with a variable output, low-BTU insert if there is a concern about too much heat. I just had an insert installed myself (see pic in "The Perfect Picture" section).

Victor

elkimmeg said:
It does not have to be glass doors but something that can close it off when not in useAlmost all heat goes up the chimney
I errored the set its self can be setup by the retailer contractor, but gas piping requires a plumber of gas fitter.

That's my experience in "Live Free or Die" NH. Nobody wants to touch the gas line, if even just to do a simple hookup to an existing connection for gas dryer, etc. It has to be a liability thing (nobody wants to pay the insurance). Still, I often wonder why nobody wants to subcontract the work. They leave it to the homeowner. It seems to be a missed opportunity for simplifying the customer experience (one call, one bill, no scheduling hassles) and perhaps gaining a tiny bit more revenue.

The state of MA has a special section in gas appliance manuals so they must have a strict law about it.

Victor

All gas logs are not equal, some are definatly better looking then others. A few brands i would look at would be hargrove gas logs and peterson real fyre gas logs.
As said above, they both suck when it comes to heat loss and over all efficiency, glass doos will help, but they are loose too. the doors have to be loose to allow free air flow from the room up the chimnney to prevent the doors from blowing off if you hade a delayed ignition in the fireplace.
You are never supposed to burn with the doors shut anyway, it ruins the valve.
Gas logs are a waste of money, but they do provide what there supposed to provide, asthetics. There the next best thing too a wood fire.

So it sounds like a gas insert is probably the way to go if she's looking for any heat at all out of it. any other suggestions as far as an insert? Maybe I'll take a swing by and get some more details some weekend.... and there better be beer in the fridge!

gas logs $300-$400
gas inserts $1500-$3000

Gas inserts also need a chimmney kit, there usually in the $300 range.

Gas inserts, lets see, quadrafire qvi30, and qvi35 are good ones, The heatilator firebrick series are nice, the jotul katahdin is sweet looking, hearthstone maidstone is a nice look too.

We have a wood stove in the basement and this vent free gas log set in the main floor living room.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_1029733_1029733&issearch=172958

The look isn't bad, the btu's are great, and because it's vent free all of the heat stays in the house and handles taking any edge off of the main and top floors of the house while the woodstove in the basement is handling most of the work. If you turned it up full blast it would drive you out of the house. Fast heat. It has a thermostat too, which is really nice. It'll cut on and off automatically if you want it to.

I *think* these are made in other fuel types besides lp. It's worth a check to see if ng is available.

Don't forget to install the appropriate detectors for bad stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.