Q&A Gas log question - Fireplace damper setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I just had a dealer-recommended plumber install a set of 24 inch Peterson gas logs in my existing wood burning fireplace (about 35 years old) I'm very happy with it, except that I'm getting a gas odor when I light it up - do you think that opening the damper fully might alleviate that problem? I believe the installer used the clamp provided in the kit to open the damper, but I understand that it only opens it slightly. Thanks for any information.

Answer:

YES YES YES....
<p>
The clip is only to make certain that you don't accidentally fully close the damper. With most gas log sets, the damper should be FULLY open. There are some exceptions, but look at your manual or literature to be sure.

Again, most vented log sets call for the damper to be fully open. --

Status
Not open for further replies.