Q&A Gas Log questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Can you please enlighten me on gas log inserts and controls.

1) Is a remote control set up very different or give a different look as a manual setup?
2) If heat is not a concern, what are the differences between cement or ceramic logs?

Note: I am converting three wood burning fireplaces to natural gas. I want the look to be as natural as possible but as automatic as possible.

Answer:

Most any gas logs can be purchased with manual or remote controls. Some models, such as the Peterson Rg6, tend to hide the receiver and valve better than some others. Check the set you are looking at to make certain the receiver is somewhat hidden.

In a vented set of logs (the most realistic), the difference between the cast and "spun" ceramic logs is really not important. I have found that the cast (cement) logs are often painted better so they may look more realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.