1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

gas log removal

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by pyper, Nov 8, 2011.

1. pyper

pyper New Member

Loc:
    Deep South
    I need to remove gas logs from my fireplace.

The gas pipe wraps around the chimney and comes in through the back of the firebox. I think there are 5 elbows on the outside of the house. There is a key turned valve of some kind that seems to cut off the gas to the logs.

Can I just close the valve and then use a pipe wrench to unscrew the length of pipe that comes into the house, take off the last elbow, and put on a cap, using gas-rated pipe joint compound?

I'd like to leave the gas on the outside of the chimney because I might want to put a gas conversion on my grill, and the chimney is right next to the deck.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    If there's a "key-turned" valve near the fireplace, that's sometimes
    called a log lighter & it's used to get firewood burning without the
    use of kindling or starter logs. Need a pic to be sure.
    There should be a shut-off at the origin of the gas line run,
    where it first taps into the main. If there isn't, & you want to work safely,
    you will have to shut the gas off at the meter & then do your gas line work.
    It might be best at this time to disassemble everything back to the main
    & install a shut-off while the gas flow has stopped. I'd put one there & another
    just before the cap you're planning on installing. On gas lines (or water lines),
    you can't have too many shut-offs.
  3. pyper

pyper New Member

Loc:
    Deep South
    Thanks.

It's definitely a valve for the gas logs, but maybe there was a log lighter in there previously or something. It's a brass key and I had to turn it about 20 times before it cut off the gas. The valve body itself just looks like a T.

I looked over the gas lines. There's a pipe that's about 1.5" OD that comes through the house to the furnace. There's a T and a line comes off for the furnace and another goes to the water heater. The line that goes to the water heater has another T in it that goes across, through the valve with the key in it, outside, around the chimney, and through it. The water heater has a valve after the T.

So it sounds like the best thing would be to turn off the gas, take off that pipe at the T, put in a valve and cap it, and then if I want to do something in the future I can take the cap off.