gas log removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyper

Jan 5, 2010
Deep South
I need to remove gas logs from my fireplace.

The gas pipe wraps around the chimney and comes in through the back of the firebox. I think there are 5 elbows on the outside of the house. There is a key turned valve of some kind that seems to cut off the gas to the logs.

Can I just close the valve and then use a pipe wrench to unscrew the length of pipe that comes into the house, take off the last elbow, and put on a cap, using gas-rated pipe joint compound?

I'd like to leave the gas on the outside of the chimney because I might want to put a gas conversion on my grill, and the chimney is right next to the deck.

If there's a "key-turned" valve near the fireplace, that's sometimes
called a log lighter & it's used to get firewood burning without the
use of kindling or starter logs. Need a pic to be sure.
There should be a shut-off at the origin of the gas line run,
where it first taps into the main. If there isn't, & you want to work safely,
you will have to shut the gas off at the meter & then do your gas line work.
It might be best at this time to disassemble everything back to the main
& install a shut-off while the gas flow has stopped. I'd put one there & another
just before the cap you're planning on installing. On gas lines (or water lines),
you can't have too many shut-offs.

Thanks.

It's definitely a valve for the gas logs, but maybe there was a log lighter in there previously or something. It's a brass key and I had to turn it about 20 times before it cut off the gas. The valve body itself just looks like a T.

I looked over the gas lines. There's a pipe that's about 1.5" OD that comes through the house to the furnace. There's a T and a line comes off for the furnace and another goes to the water heater. The line that goes to the water heater has another T in it that goes across, through the valve with the key in it, outside, around the chimney, and through it. The water heater has a valve after the T.

So it sounds like the best thing would be to turn off the gas, take off that pipe at the T, put in a valve and cap it, and then if I want to do something in the future I can take the cap off.

Status
Not open for further replies.