Q&A Gas Logs..the effect on my gas bill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am considering installing gas logs- but am not sure what the impact will be to my gas bill. In other words I have not been able to determine the efficiency of using gas for my fireplace. I know it will depend on the local cost of gas- the intensity and length of the fire- etc- but I was wondering if there is a rule of thumb for estimating how expensive it would be to burn gas logs. Thanks for your help

Answer:

Different for Propane or natural gas (LP is about double). There is some info at the web site about the cost of BTU-- (go to "what's it all about" and then pick "specific information"..then select the "more info about gas" but's here's a summary Vented Gas Logs---30-000 to 90-000 BTU/Hr --Low efficiency (10%) cost 40 cents to $1.50 per hour) Unvented Logs -10-000 to 40-000 BTU/HR 99% Efficiency cost 20 cents to 60 cents per hour. If you have the $$$- a Gas Fireplace Insert is also a good choice- as these have sealed fronts- high efficiency- and are vented up the chimney.

Try the fuel cost calcuator at the link below.

Link: Compare the costs of fuels

Status
Not open for further replies.