Q&A Gas logs v. gas fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I presently have a masonry, wood-burning fireplace in my family room.I am thinking of converting to gas. The fireplace use will be mostly decorative, but I do want the option of using it as occasional heat source, particularly during power failures. I understand that unvented gas logs produce heat, but can only be used a few hours at a time. I know that fireplace inserts produce a lot of heat, but can the amount of heat be adjusted, as I expect to use the fireplace on many occasions when I won't need or want the additional heat?

Answer:

The heat from a gas fireplace insert can only be adjusted to a certain level, which might still be too high for you. Perhaps an insert with a lower to medium range like the ones from Heat n Glo (http://heatnglo.com) might be worth looking at. Unvented logs could be used more often if your damper is left open. This would allow you to dump a lot of the heat up the chimney, while still getting a fire to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.