gas or wood stove??????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rreale

Oct 22, 2008
upstate ny
I just put a 12 x 22 addition on my house. I call it an adirondack room, the walls , cathedral ceilings and floor are knotty pine. I always planned on putting a wood stove in it. But now i am being steered towards gas. The cons for the wood stove to me (as i see them) are:

more costly (double wall chimneys aren't cheap), seasoned wood by me is about $275 to 300 a cord.

lots of work.. hauling in wood, cleaning up the mess, getting wood, ashes, starting the fire.

I would need a bigger hearth.

Being a lazy person, I see myself going the gas way. But that would take away from the Adirondack theme.

The gas stove i am looking at is from monessen, I would choose the black color.

http://www.monessenhearth.com/index.asp?rgn=USA&pag=product/ventfree/CSVF.asp

Any help or ideas wood be appreciated.

You answered your own question.

Most people who utilize wood stoves are the opposite of lazy. Those of us who actually harvest wood are very ambitious and frugal. Paying for gas heat goes against those ideals, NTTAWWT.

Too bad you are failing to appreciate the "free exercise" aspect of heating with wood? And the fact that there is no other heat that will quite warm you with the same use of btu`s? Ah, well--least you had the fortitude to admit that you are Lazy :blank:

Whatever you do, don't install a vent free stove. Do a high efficiency direct vent stove. Woodstock soapstone makes some excellent stoves. As expensive as a wood stove, but just burns fossil fuel and the venting system is relatively cheap and goes through the wall, instead of up through the roof.

Vent Free systems can kill you with CO poisoning and introduce condensation through moisture in the fuel. If none of those, it can still raise CO2 to levels that are very unsafe. These products should be banned for anything other than drafty barns and tents.

Basically, I would say the difference is this: Do you plan to heat your house with it, or is it mostly for ambiance? Gas logs are an easy solution for the "look and feel" and look really realistic these days, but gas is a far more expensive choice for heating.

+1000 on the "vent free". Be afraid. Be very afraid.
I have a direct vent gas fireplace that's fantastic, throws a ton of heat, and is very low-maintenance.
I have a wood stove that requires a lot more effort but is very rewarding and my house smells much better when I let a little smoke in. :cheese:

If it's just the theme you're after, you could put in a nice wood stove with a fake stovepipe, fill it with a few splits as if it's ready to light, maybe put in some red & yellow flashing tree lights cleverly hidden within the splits, weld the door shut, and turn on your electric space heater. :p Rick

fossil said:
If it's just the theme you're after, you could put in a nice wood stove with a fake stovepipe, fill it with a few splits as if it's ready to light, maybe put in some red & yellow flashing tree lights cleverly hidden within the splits, weld the door shut, and turn on your electric space heater. :p Rick

Sometimes Rick, I think you are even more evil than myself? :eek:hh:

fossil said:

Post of the day. :coolsmile:

sonnyinbc said:
...Sometimes Rick, I think you are even more evil than myself? :eek:hh:

Sonny, the way I see it, there's a world of difference between living to annoy and living to amuse. :) Rick

fossil said:
sonnyinbc said:
...Sometimes Rick, I think you are even more evil than myself? :eek:hh:

Sonny, the way I see it, there's a world of difference between living to annoy and living to amuse. :) Rick

Well, if I don`t do it? Who is going to? BB in my humble opinion is becoming much too mellow.. And fyi Rickster, going into the "can" to get those crazies all stirred up is no easy feat... I mean, I really have to work at it. :lol:

Now, lets see how long it takes for BB to get on my case-hmmm.

Meanwhile back at the OP, it sounds like you are looking into good gas units. I'd suggest also posting in the "It's a gas" forum on this site to get the gas stove owner's perspective. There are many good units on the market. I'm sure you'll find one that fits in perfectly.

Some of them (gas appliances) are very attractive, and quite efficient as well. The folks on "It's A Gas" can probably be a lot more helpful and a lot less sarcastic about the possibilities in that direction than some of us dyed-in-the-wool wood burners over here in "The Hearth Room" (over there, they actually know what they're talking about). But, if you should lean toward wood, we'll be all over it and do anything we can to help you out over here. Good luck! Rick

BeGreen said:
Meanwhile back at the OP, it sounds like you are looking into good gas units. I'd suggest also posting in the "It's a gas" forum on this site to get the gas stove owner's perspective. There are many good units on the market. I'm sure you'll find one that fits in perfectly.

Okay, serious on this one. Look for the most btu`s you can get with maximum turn down. Something like as much as 40k btu`s with a turn-down to as little as 12k btu`s. Do that, and you have heat when you need it. and less heat when you don`t without burning up ton`s of fuel.

Also, direct vent is the best option=far,far more efficient than a B-vent. And of course, as you probably realize by now,"ventless is only asking for trouble".. Matter of fact, they are banned in Canada. And for Good Reason.....

Rick kicks ass!
I always enjoy your posts.

Yeah, no vent free. I would not have one. And I sold stoves and fireplaces for 20 plus years.......

Also, LP can be very expensive! Still not too bad with an efficient gas stove - if you use it only on occasion. Nat gas is quite reasonable and also clean. I have used a lot of wood, pellet and gas stoves....and gas does have a lot of advantages if you have some other hobbies!

After reading this post a few times I have concluded that, because the room has a name and a theme, a gas-fired appliance would probably suit it better than a wood-fired one. lol
I recommend the wood, if you have the time and motivation, though.

Ok, thanks for the comments. I will post in the gas forum, also.

I already have a Rinnai RCE-329A 10k btu vent free heater in a bedroom. that is the sole source of heat for that room. I do notice some condensation on the windows after running it for several hours.

Not sure why some people say to be very afraid of vent free. From what i have read they don't put out much CO2.

Since the room I am putting this new stove in is all pine, I was told that the introduction of a wood stove would dry the pine out and cause shrinkage and cracks. Maybe with a vent free I could avoid some of this?

If ventless are the kiss of death what about my 6 burner propane range with a grill off to the side and a double oven? I have wondered about this before. It's what my wife really wanted and it works and looks the best. When cooking a big meal these appliances must be a nearly as bad. What about cooks in resturants? If these guys are really that bad why are they legal in all but the most heavily regulated of areas? I don't use one, just curious.
Joe

rreale said:
Ok, thanks for the comments. I will post in the gas forum, also.

I already have a Rinnai RCE-329A 10k btu vent free heater in a bedroom. that is the sole source of heat for that room. I do notice some condensation on the windows after running it for several hours.

Not sure why some people say to be very afraid of vent free. From what i have read they don't put out much CO2.

Since the room I am putting this new stove in is all pine, I was told that the introduction of a wood stove would dry the pine out and cause shrinkage and cracks. Maybe with a vent free I could avoid some of this?

I have tongue and grove pine ceilings in my house, and was told the same thing. I purchased a large humidifier to combat this in the winter. The air will be dry in the winter. You will likely want to humidify the air regardless of heating choice. I personally would not rely on the condensation created by a ventless appliance.

You are correct, burning with wood is a lot of work. However, I look at it this way. Heating my home costs between 2K and 3K per year. I enjoy harvesting wood, and I view it as a part time job. I make my own hours, get to enjoy the outdoors (my daytime job does not afford that luxury) and I can make around 2K per year doing it. I never understood the "it's messy" argument. I run the vacuum for 5 minutes a couple times a week, and viola, no mess.

Edit: By "I run the vacuum" I of course mean "I watch my wife run the vacuum..." :)

Status
Not open for further replies.