Q&A Gas or Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Help! We are building a house in South Carolina, near Hilton Head. The total sq. footage will be about 2500. We are planning a see through fireplace between the family room and living room. The family room is 14'2" x 19'7" and the living room is 15'6" x 17'0". We are in the midst of the great debate. My husband wants gas because you don't have to do anything but flip a switch, and he worries about bugs, specifically termites. I want wood because I like the smell and I like to hear the crackling of the fire. Typical so far? The builder and the architects are recommending gas, but I still don't understand why. What are the pros and cons? If I'm going to give up on wood I want the reason to be a good one.

Answer:

Well, Marie, it's always a question of who is going to start and tend the fire. Wood is more work, but does offer the satisfaction of a job well done, along with the best looking and smelling fire. If you are going to rely on your husband to procure, split, stack, dry, carry the wood and start the fire, then maybe gas is a good choice. However, if you are going to help in the festivities, then wood is good. You could always get rid of your husband and advertise for a Paul Bunyan look-alike to help with the wood pile (grin). Good Luck with your home.

Status
Not open for further replies.