Gas Station Bundles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just shake my head when i walk by that green wood wrapped in plastic too funny.

I just shake my head when i walk by that green wood wrapped in plastic too funny.
Where you are its "green"? Every one i have ever burned (mom, vacation, or inlaws) was dry and caught fire with a tiny kindling fire? I dont think they would sell vary many of those if the average person who cant burn a fire could not put a tiny piece of fatwood they storebought or a tiny firestarted thing they bought to get it burning.

The gas stations, grocery stores, walmart.......they all sell them around here for $5 per bundle. My bundles are bigger and I sell them for $2, plus it's some of my best seasoned oak that I split smaller and tie baler twine around while making loops to be use as handles. They buy them from me like crazy! And i still make more money off of them than what I sell my regular cord wood for. But I won't knock it, it's cash in my pocket. (hey, that rhymes)

Now I know where the quote " I'm with quads, whack the sucker" Comes from!

I have to buy firewood when camping in shen. nat'l park, (ash borer) but don't mind, part of the cost of going there. Allt he local campgrounds I usually bring enugh for me and a few neighbors.

Now I know where the quote " I'm with quads, whack the sucker" Comes from!
HA! Yup, it's me. Firefighterjake was referring to my simplistic method of splitting in his signature line.

Reactions: osagebow
HA! Yup, it's me. Firefighterjake was referring to my simplistic method of splitting in his signature line.

Yup . . . some time ago someone wrote that very line in saying they would just take a few whacks with the maul on the bucked up piece of wood . . . struck me as funny . . . along with a few other gems over the years that I've stolen borrowed in my signature line. Quads is a top notch guy . . . one of those folks I suspect who is exactly like he is in person as he is here.

Reactions: osagebow and quads
We are going to the Finger Lakes, NY area this weekend and it will rub me the wrong way to pay that kind of $$ for some firewood, but I'll do it just to stay legal and keep the trunk clean. We'll be looking for decent wood once we get within 10 miles or so of the destination and hopefully find decent wood to be had.

Unfortunately, I will be buying some of that high priced stuff this weekend. My son and I are leaving IL and going to MO, St Joe park, to go off roading. IL is a quarantined state and therefore I cannot legally take any of my firewood across the state line, so I will have to buy when I get there.

Most of those bundles will have a USDA Shield certifying that the wood complies with the EAB Federal Regulation Standard. Those selling it are licensed and must treat the wood in one of 4 manners: Treatment options– 1. Removal of all bark and ½inch of wood. 2. Kiln Dried (Max. thickness of 3 inches) 3. Fumigated with MB 4. Heat Treated. http://www.agr.state.il.us/eab/PDFs_for_web/Firewood/Fed_Firewood_10042007.pdf

So in their defense, they have quite a lot of expense in those little bundles.

The grocery store near us is selling bundles and they are labeled "Estonian birch" hardwood. They cross the Atlantic to be sold at a supermarket. Must be just ravaging the forests to do enough volume to make a profit.

Where you are its "green"? Every one i have ever burned (mom, vacation, or inlaws) was dry and caught fire with a tiny kindling fire? I dont think they would sell vary many of those if the average person who cant burn a fire could not put a tiny piece of fatwood they storebought or a tiny firestarted thing they bought to get it burning.

Clio Michigan and maybe things are different in you area but green wood is obvious and thats what sold around here. It sucks for the people buying it I will take a pic next time im there some of those bundles have condensation on the plastic.

I laugh everytime I see these bundles at grocery stores or gas stations. Little planks of wood bundled for $5. It's very well seasoned, but wouldn't even be enough to really warm the stove much. Who buys this stuff? Way overpriced
I do the same as you do . $7 for a small bundle of what to me appears to be aspen ,or something close to it .
But then again , it just might make sense to someone that lives in an apartment , is on a promise ,and needs a bit of ambience :)

I do the same as you do . $7 for a small bundle of what to me appears to be aspen ,or something close to it .
But then again , it just might make sense to someone that lives in an apartment , is on a promise ,and needs a bit of ambience :)

Yeah...don't get me wrong. If I was single, had no firewood, and a lady that really wanted a romantic fire, I'd fill the trunk regardless of price. LOL!!! ==c

I manage a grocery store in St. Louis in which all our bales are mid Missouri oak and are absolutely far from seasoned. I generally pick up a few of the broken bales and get them at a discounted price. But they do sell quite well.

Bit late on this thread but I started selling bags of firewood from the backyard this year and I have a small but steady customer flow. Several repeat customers as well. I cut my own wood so I can sell it cheaper than the others that buy tractor trailer loads to bag up. I'm no threat to the gas stations etc and it keeps me occupied.

They know u bag n split it yet still OK buying 6 split for like $3? None ever want to buy say a trunk load, or have you deliver say 1/8 cord or some small stack?? Just seems dumb to me?

The real money is in selling it as smoke wood to the BBQ crowd at $1.00 per pound. Green wood is permissible and to many preferred. At over 2.5 tons/cord a cord of white oak or hickory can net you a 'tons' of money. I would just want a bandsaw or circular saw to cut it up. The kerf on a chainsaw will convert a significant amount of the profit into chips and dust.

I sold apple and pear BBQ chunks over the summer $5 per small tote full. Local wally world sells apple chunks $8 66 cubic inch. The bundles (oak) are very seasoned and sell like hot cakes. The local firewood dealer/s sell individual splits a buck and change each! Green as the dollar bill you payed.

I've heard they're called "gettin lucky" bundles.();)

Reactions: albert1029
People stack their own bundles of like 10 pieces for 15.00 for campers. At least it's a local wood from the area not balsa wood.

When we go camping in the provincial camp sites you aren't allowed to bring in your own firewood. I do anyways but buy a tote of pine off of them for $6 to keep them happy. That works out to be about 6 or so splits.

The local grocery sells those to all the campers, sledders, 4 wheelers, and hunters that come up here to play.
There are also a lot of folks who sell by the road on an honor basis, to the same folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.