1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Gas stove advice

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by the_dude, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_dude

the_dude Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern WI
    Good day gentlemen. I bought a new spec house about 4 years ago. It is 26x40 with a full basement and loft. It had a floor to ceiling stonework on the first floor with a cheap wood/gas fireplace. I replaced that fireplace with a Kozy Heat Z42, which does and excellent job of heating the first floor and loft. The basement however, gets quite cool. Our basement is mostly finished, and we are looking at utilizing that finished area more = family room + toy room for the lad. I'm considering adding a heat source down there that will be able to quickly and efficiently raise the temp down there from upper 50's/low 60's to upper 60's/low 70's when we want to use that space (again, about 1000 square feet). I'm thinking about a propane stove (I don't see taking wood down there nor maintaining 2 wood fires). I know nothing about propane stoves, so I was hoping for some thoughts and recommendations. Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    With 1000 sf to heat & if you're well insulated down there,
    I'd say you're gonna need in the 40K BTU input range.
    75% efficiency will give you 30K BTU output & that should heat your basement...
    Jotul, Regency & Hearthstone make nice looking, reliable
    units in this range, but there are others.
    What it'll boil down to is what you want to look at, but
    I'd start in that range. Smaller stoves make work but they'll work
    harder to achieve the same results...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.