gas stove in fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brogsie

Feeling the Heat
Dec 19, 2007
eastern MA
I'm thinking about putting a gas fireplace (Vermont castings, Radiance natural vent) into my fireplace opening.
Have a few questions.

Will I loose a lot of the heat up the chimney because it is a natural vent?

Can I duct it into the chimney (clay lined) or do I need to run pipe to top of chimney?

Are shorter legs available so it will fit in fireplace opening? Where to find?

Thanks

you can vent it in into the chimney but you should run a liner full lenght. in a fireplace you also have the option to consider a direct vent stove as you can run two seprate liner which maybe your best bet as it will not use house air and wil most likely be your best performance.

hey stoveguy
thanks fot the input.
got a chance to buy the natural vent at a great price.
I'm thinking the chimney would work as the gas boiler and water heater would.
Just wondering wht it would need to be vented to the top of the chimney.

pook
thanks. pretty good deal on the natural vent stove.
guess it's pay me now or pay me later?

you should run a liner the full lenght of the chimney in a fireplace the flue will most likely be to large to support a propper draft for a 30000 btu unit as you are looking at the liner will run you about 150$

Status
Not open for further replies.