Gas stove info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solus2sail

Aug 4, 2008
Cape Cod
I'm interested in backing up my gas furnace with a gas stove.
It's not uncommon for power to be knocked out by wet heavy snows here in the northeast.
Where can I find unbiased reviews of gas stoves?
There are too many manufacturers all claiming best construction and performance.
This will be my first purchase and I don't want to make an expensive mistake.
I have a 1004sq/ft ranch that years ago had a wood stove (slate pad already in place).
It would have to vent to the rear where the exit pipe is approximately 22 inches off the floor.
I am obviously concerned with cost, performance and longevity.
I would appreciate any assistance you folks might be able to offer me.
Solus

Ouch! 3000$ for a gas stove?

Go for one with high btu output that you can still turn down to 50% or less. EG: 40k btu input that can be tuned down to 15k input is nice and controllable. This way you`ve got the heat when you need it and can still minimize the heat during the shoulder seasons.

2400 for bare bones+350 to get a shiney one+325 for the blower+ a delivery charge + state sales tax etc.

How many of our pickups have AM radios and vinyl floors? Yes, I see the entire HS line has gotten more expensive. Wow. The good news is that my woodstove is worth more than ever.

Have all manufacturers hiked their prices so significantly? I admit to liking the HS line enough that the price hikes are even more of a blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.