Gas stove lighting issues.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiepea

Jan 2, 2008
Wisconsin
I just want to say this is a wonderful forum. I've been reading through this and trying to find an issue similar to mine, but can't seem to find one. My husband and I moved into a house with a vented gas stove in it. To say the least, neither of us knows anything about gas stoves. My parents have used wood and pellet, so they are also no help.

We are trying to get the stove lit. I have followed both the instructions that come with it and what I've found online. I get the pilot lit while I'm holding in the button, but it used to be when I'd let go, it'd immediately go out. We assumed thermocouple (which will lead to more questions). I did some more reading and thought perhaps the flames weren't touching the thermocouple enough, so I think I adjusted the pilot flame with the screw -- but, it didn't really seem to do anything. Now, after I've done that, I smell gas when I hold in the button for about 30 seconds. Not too strong, but enough to be evident. Did I mess something up? We've been monkeying around with this thing for awhile and have never smelled gas.

Anyhow, after playing with that screw, the pilot lights and when I let go of the button, a super small flame may remain. When I turn button to on, the flame goes back to about half it's previous size and then poof, goes out.

Am I missing something? Should I just assume we need a new thermocouple? It doesn't seem like the do dads are really dirty. We brushed some of the stuff off. I've tried checking the connection of the thermocouple but am not sure what/where the "valve" is that I've read about. Also, any advice on removing it?

Thanks in advance.

In general you may not want to fiddle with gas if you are not familiar with the unit AND have a manual handy.

In terms of trouble shooting, my first thought is that you do not have enough gas pressure at the unit. Or a semi-clogged pilot tube.

The reason I say this is because your pilot is not able to be turned up easily.

Since you did not install the stove, you have no way of knowing whether the gas lines are properly sized and/or clogged with something. If the unit is LP, it could be a regulator problem or adjustment. Either way, it sounds like you need to have a pro look at the gas lines.

As far as smelling gas, when the pilot knob is pushed in, gas will flow whether it is lit or not. If you depress the knob, you should make certain that you immediately light the pilot! Stoves have blown up (the glass) from delayed ignition of pilots or burners. If you smell gas, you could stop what you are doing and give the stove a few moments to clear out the stuff before trying again. Also, it is possible that some gas is escaping out the screw where you adjusted the pilot. A soapy solution can help you determine that.

So, I say you need to have your gas pressure checked and perhaps your pilot tube cleaned, checked or replaced. You should have a decent pilot flame both before and after a burner is lit.

what kind of stove is it it cloud be a dirty pilot or you have a dirty pilot or a bad pilot hood i think you said you playe dwith a scew it cloud have been the pilot adjustment scew which cloud be why you are smelling gas you should call someone who knows your stove well.

If the thermocouple is not working properly it will not allow any gas into your stove after the initial start up. It may work for a few seconds, but will (should) shut itself down. Appliance repair part stores and plumbing suppy houses carry them.. Bring your old one in and they will match it up for you. They run about $10-15.

Good luck!

Where in WI are you located? What brand / model is your stove?

I would suggest shutting off the gas to the stove and calling a pro before you blow your house up.

Sounds like the gas valve orifice is partially plugged.................................................Get a pro to fix.............Please..... gas is not something to be messed with....

Thank you all. I did stop messing with it once I smelled gas and shut the gas off to it (trust me, I don't want to blow my house up either!). I kind of figured I'd need to go the professional route so that's what we'll do. Of course, you always hope deep down inside you're missing the obvious problem and it'd be a simple fix, but how often does that happen? Anyhow, the stove is an American Hearth -- I'm not sure of the model number but it's a classic AH cast iron. We're located in west central WI.

When you talk to the dealer be up front and let them know you were attempting to repair it, or at least tell the tech when he gets there. It will put him on track and keep them from wasting time. When you know someone has been tampering with it you tend to leave no stone unturned when looking for problems, at least thats how I work.

Status
Not open for further replies.