Q&A Gas stove started burning differently

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a Dovre Saphire 50 DV stove using propane. All of a sudden the flames are different. Taller, more orange and the stove isn't getting as hot as it was just a day ago (I have a pipe thermometer on the top of the stove). I've opened the air shutter all the way and it improved it but what could cause it to change suddenly like that? Something in the valve assy? The vent/intake isn't blocked at all, the cylinder is a little less than half full. Is a DV gas stove's draft affected by outside temps like a wood stove and chimney is?

Answer:

The first thing I'd confirm is if you have had your tank filled recently. If the problems started immediately after a refill, check with your LP supplier. Sometimes there is a difference in the quality of LP gas. It's rare but does happen. Check the main line pressure and make sure that it is at 11" WC.

Once you eliminate contamination and pressure as a potential cause, I would start by making sure that the burner aeration control is opened fully. If that doesn't make a difference check the burner assembly and or burner tube(s) and make sure that they don't have a mineral crust buildup on them. Check the outlet pressure at the valve and make sure that it is set to the correct pressure as indicated in your owners manual. If all of this fails, call in a professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.