Gas Stove Won't Light.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliot

Jan 12, 2007
Thought I would fire up the downstairs gas stove. Haven't used it in a month or so. The stove has only been used a few times since I installed it a couple of years ago. Sparked, pilot light came on... released the pilot light button... went out. Wouldn't start. It seemed not to be getting enough gas. However, I have an upstairs gas stove in the fireplace directly above and it was fine. Tried the basement stove again, with the upstairs on... off... no light either way. The pilot light seemed weak. This is very curious because both stoves run off of a direct main line then branch off directly outside the fireplace. The upstairs goes into the house and the basement line goes down through to the basement fireplace. Any ideas? Thanks all. Back to the t.V. and the game.

Elliot

[quote author="Elliot" date="1170653538"]Thought I would fire up the downstairs gas stove. Haven't used it in a month or so. The stove has only been used a few times since I installed it a couple of years ago. Sparked, pilot light came on... released the pilot light button... went out. Wouldn't start. It seemed not to be getting enough gas. However, I have an upstairs gas stove in the fireplace directly above and it was fine. Tried the basement stove again, with the upstairs on... off... no light either way. The pilot light seemed weak. This is very curious because both stoves run off of a direct main line then branch off directly outside the fireplace. The upstairs goes into the house and the basement line goes down through to the basement fireplace. Any ideas? Thanks all. Back to the t.V. and the game.

Elliot[/quote}

I'll jump in. Sounds like you have a blocked fuel line. Pull the orifice off the end and check for a blockage. Don't be suprized of you find a spider nest.

Have you held the pilot button in for a few seconds after the pilot comes on? If not, hold it in for about 10 sec before letting it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.