1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Gas Tank Gasket

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Retired Guy, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Retired Guy

Retired Guy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Vincent, NY
    I have a portable gasoline generator that had a mechanical linkage to the gas gauge. Over the years the linkage pivots (plastic) softened and failed. The "meter" no longer snaps in the approximately 1 inch hole on the top of the tank. Without the ability to reach the back of the gauge, I can't tighten it, and gas leaks when I move the generator. Since I can live without the gauge, I bedded it with 3M 5200 bedding compound - that promptly softened and continued to leak. Any thoughts on how I can seal it? Generac 4000EXL

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Have you tried this?

http://www.justanswer.com/sip/Generac/Small Engine?r=ppc|ga|2|HI+-+Small+Engines|Generac+Generators+-+1&JPKW=generac gas&JPDC=S&JPST;=&JPAD=11104014418&JPMT=b&JPNW=g&JPAF=txt&JPCD=20120207&JPRC=1&JPOP=Darren_Andrew9sec_Trans&gclid=CLj20oyky64CFUdN4AodPDB_Cw

zap
  3. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
  4. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    JB weld!!
  5. nate379

nate379 Guest

Funny, I have that same gen set I think. Mine is from around mid 80s.

I think I put a bunch of JB weld over the gauge, but I can't remember for sure.
  6. Retired Guy

Retired Guy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Vincent, NY
    Sounds like JB weld is what to use. Thanks guys.