Gas Tank Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retired Guy

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2011
Cape Vincent, NY
I have a portable gasoline generator that had a mechanical linkage to the gas gauge. Over the years the linkage pivots (plastic) softened and failed. The "meter" no longer snaps in the approximately 1 inch hole on the top of the tank. Without the ability to reach the back of the gauge, I can't tighten it, and gas leaks when I move the generator. Since I can live without the gauge, I bedded it with 3M 5200 bedding compound - that promptly softened and continued to leak. Any thoughts on how I can seal it? Generac 4000EXL

Have you tried this?

http://www.justanswer.com/sip/Generac/Small Engine?r=ppc|ga|2|HI+-+Small+Engines|Generac+Generators+-+1&JPKW=generac gas&JPDC=S&JPST;=&JPAD=11104014418&JPMT=b&JPNW=g&JPAF=txt&JPCD=20120207&JPRC=1&JPOP=Darren_Andrew9sec_Trans&gclid=CLj20oyky64CFUdN4AodPDB_Cw

zap

JB weld!!

Funny, I have that same gen set I think. Mine is from around mid 80s.

I think I put a bunch of JB weld over the gauge, but I can't remember for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.