Gas to Gas conversion?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Douvre

Jan 20, 2010
western pa
I have a Douvre freestanding gas stove. Direct vent through roof. As I understand it no parts are available and the control valve is bad. The pizio igniter has been bad and not replaceable for a couple years. I have to disassemble the glass to light the pilot.

Would it be possible and safe to remove the control valve entirely and just use the original burner directly connected to the gas line in the same way that you use a gas log in a fireplace. Light it for occasional use and then turn it off. No pilot light, no thermostat etc. I would be using all the same parts but eliminating the control valve and just using a shutoff valve

One complication is that it has a glass window on the firebox itself-not part of a door. Without a pilot, I would have to find a safe way to light it. Could remove the glass entirely. Or redo the glass attachment so it is attached to the door and add a gasket between the glass and the firebox. Make the door functional. Without the glass it would leak cold air into the room when not in use and might not burn properly.

We don't need the stove for overnight or 24/7 heat. Just when we are home and using the room as additional heat and as an enjoyable fireplace.

If the answer to this is no-can the stove be converted to burn wood?

And if the answer to that is no - what brands of freestanding gas stoves are good quality and not likely to go out of business and leave me in the same position I am now. No parts and no local company willing to service the stove

Status
Not open for further replies.