1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

gas valve location

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by FanMan, Dec 1, 2012.

1. FanMan

FanMan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT stix & upstate NY
    I'm about to install two direct vent propane wall mount heaters to continue my overall conversion from oil to propane. Anyway, the instructions for the heater specify the location to run the gas line through the wall, but that doesn't leave room for a shutoff valve; it's very close to the gas inlet on the heater. Can't see that the precise location matters, but is there a required location for the shutoff valve? Does the valve have to be indoors, or can it be on the outside of the wall? Is it a code thing?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    I believe the gas codes specify that the shut off needs to be within 5 feet of the appliance & in the same room. If you're getting the install inspected, you should talk to the inspector. If you're gonna do it WITHOUT the AHJ getting involved, I'd run the gas line thru the wall, install a shut-off at that point & run an approved appliance connector from the shut-off to the gas valve...
  3. Heatsource

Heatsource Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    ^ 3' i think(but dont quote me!), must be accessible to the operator of the unit
    so outside the wall wont work
  4. FanMan

FanMan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT stix & upstate NY
    OK, thanks. Got the right combination of connectors to put the valve inside with a minimum number of joints.