Gas valve Test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hudson29016

Nov 13, 2014
South Carolina
Hello I just wanna make sure i'm checking the gas valve correctly I attached picture of my gas valve
Where should I test it leaves to check the ohms? Also what should I be reading? This is a heat n glo 6000 FL TV

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416362760422.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416362760422.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 162
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416362851101.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416362851101.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 160
Disconnect ALL the wires from the terminal block (red plastic assembly on the valve).
Set your multimeter to OHMS. Zero the multimeter by touching the positive & negative probes together.
The top terminal is labelled as TH. The middle terminal is labelled as TP.
Put your probe tips on these two terminals.
You should get a reading between 1.5 & 1.7 Ohms.
If you don't the valve is bad.

Remove the gas valve & take it to a hearth shop. A technician there will be able to verify your readings.
New gas valves aren't cheap, so I'd get a second opinion before buying a replacement.

Reactions: Hudson29016
Thanks guys I got it fixed. There was a blockage in the line leading from the fireplace to the tank. I fixed the air compressor was shut off valve to the line. And flushed it out. You should have seen all the dirt that was inside of the line. Took a little trouble shooting in frustration but finally got it done. Perseverance and lack of money is a great teacher.

Reactions: Heatsource
Status
Not open for further replies.