Gasified a bunch of cardboard today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
I had a bunch of cardboard around so I decided to try burning it in the boiler. I folded it up tight and packed the boiler. It burnt just as well as cord wood only slightly hotter and for a shorter time. I actually burnt enough to charge my storage most the way. If a guy could bail free cardboard to the size of splits or slightly larger I think it might be worth burning a lot of the time.

I burned some cardboard in my old wood stove out at the edge of the yard two or three years ago to show people what happens in the chimney.

brownie flaming.jpg

That is the rednecks way to clean a chimney.

Reactions: flyingcow
A ton of ash with cardboard or paper. Gasifying can burn without a chimney fire as long as your careful, but you'll get a crap ton of ash.

No flames out of my chimney. No huffing. LOL.. A gasser burns all them gases up before it reaches the chimney. I had only slightly higher flue temps. WARNING : DO NOT TRY THIS IN A NORMAL WOOD BURNER !!

I wouldn't do it in a cat either. That cat would clog up before you could say holy wah.

Last edited:
No flames out of my chimney. No huffing. LOL.. A gasser burns all them gases up before it reaches the chimney. I had only slightly higher flue temps. WARNING : DO NOT TRY THIS IN A NORMAL WOOD BURNER !!

How much ash did it leave behind?

Had a little extra ash but not that much.

I think it's up on your roof! Did you check up there?:)

My wife's business generates a fair amount of waste cardboard. Stuffing a few inches in the bottom to start a fire is MUCH faster and easier than taking it to the transfer station.

That, and my wife' hobby of burning sticks she collects from the lawn during spring clean up... will keep us in how water during spring.

I think it's up on your roof! Did you check up there?:)

surprisingly there was no ash on the roof. I have had some fly ash on the roof before, but didn't see any after burning the cardboard. I usually start my fires with a little cardboard, no problems. I have a steel roof and wouldn't care if there was some ash on the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.