1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Gasifier Assigned seating?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by GS7, Sep 18, 2013.

1. GS7

GS7 New Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Working out the logistics of adding a gasifier, and would like to know if the gasifier boiler MUST sit directly beside the oil furnace which will become the back up furnace?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    No. You can run pipes as needed. More piping equals more chance for heat loss, but that should be negligible with insulating the piping.
  3. AroostookDave

AroostookDave Member

Loc:
    Aroostook River Maine
    In my case the oil furnace and water tank are in the cellar, and the gasifier is in its own room in the woodshed on the upper floor. I have pipes to the tank and to the backup oil furnace, where the zone pumps are. This gives three options, wood only, oil only, and oil when tank temp goes lower than a set temperature.
  4. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine

My oil boiler is in basement, 820 gal of storage 25ft away. Solo Innova 100ft (from oil boiler) in another building. All set up if storage gets too cold oil automatically kicks in.
  5. infinitymike

infinitymike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    My oil burner is in the basement and my wood burner is in the garage about 70 feet away.
    I have a supply and return line from the wood burner running along the basement ceiling to
    a primary loop on the basement wall that is fed from the oil and wood, than it goes out to the zones.
    very simple and clean.