Gasifier Choice, Need help guys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

usmarinesam

Sep 16, 2008
Palmyra, NY
hi, fella's
i'm new to the boiler room and have some questions regarding choosing a boiler. let me start with a little info, i have a 1890 3,000 sq ft farm house with poor to mild r-value. i have been heating with an old but well maintained oil boiler that supplies hw baseboard heat to 3 circulating pumps for 3 zones. the system is also hooked up to a 1979 American Central brand wood boiler that isn't very efficent due to a crack in the water jacket. i have both units in the basement that vent into a very nice double flue block chimney. actually used the wood boiler before i knew about the crack and until it was running hot it actually heated ok, kept house around 78 deg. , no problem but used wood and polluted the air due to conventional design. i live in country no natural gas available, and i was thinking about heating my 40x40 workshop also with this new boiler, but price depending if i'm going to spend 15 thou, misewell go with geothermal.
i origonally looked at the greenwood boiler but i was concerned with no induct. fan like other brands have. greenwood is also accessible to me and available. it also appeared to need alot of acessories install to make a closed system. i then looked at the wood-gun which i really liked and quality of construction for the price. the problem is its not available for another six months or so, back order. i refuse to spend another 6k on fuel oil this year rather put it toward a good stove. i looked at tarm a little but unsure. it seems a common theme on here is guys talking about different boilers they would like to have or try, and alot on here already have an eko which they seem to like. so i've started looking at the eko's and was really impressed by the gentleman in Burlington Flats, NY i spoke with about them.
its seems alot of the dealers and companies i spoke with were rather short and almost arrogant acting i think partially due to the huge demand they are seeing now. mark shoelling down in burlington has been the first real nice, patient, and glad to show you all you want to see before you even think about buying guy i've met. so i would say i'm leaning toward an eko, but i worry a little about longevitity and its shorter track record. grant it alot has to do with the care and maintenance you put into your boiler. i definitely plan to stay up on that and use only good seasoned hardwood which i have. i know i ultimately have to make the decision but i am interested in all your inputs.

thanks, sam

I just got my EKO 40. I saw it in action before I bought it, and was impressed, as was my plumber father-in-law who isn't easily impressed. Anyway, my EKO is in the garage waiting for the slab for my shed to be poured. We have been looking over this thing with a fine tooth comb, and I must say it is solid. Very solid, and heavy - almost 1500lbs. I have a 32HP john deere tractor, and can't lift it off the ground more than 2 inches.

As far as performance, all of the data says it's real efficient. I plan to run it to a Weil Mcclain boiler with 12 zones (yes 12). I have every room in my house zoned to save on heating. Plus I have a 75 gallon hot water tank.

I have no worries, and am real excited to get it fired up soon.

Good luck with your search!

Forgot to mention that it is made in Poland, and I'm a pollock - so I feel some pride in something made from the home country.

Welcome Aboard the Boiler Room Marine!
Semper Fi...
Perhaps you can read the thread that I started a few months back, "Pellet Boilers... Where are you?" As much as we want everything to ramp up and be ready now. There still seems to be a production curve to over come. I actually wonder if more people are opting for pellet stove installations (lot$ le$$) instead of boilers, gasifiers, etc installations.
The price of oil is coming down too... so if we have to suffer through one more winter..... do I dare think it?
There are some real smart and very helpful people here.
Mack

Tarm. I bought one and it will be intalled very soon. Company has been around a long time. I researched all the models... spent easily 20 hours on this site and read everything. I went to Lyme Nh... talked to sales guy. He was fantastic. All teh peope there were real people.. witty and personable. The product speaks for itself. It is very heavy... but my Massey Ferguson 33 hp was able to take it off my truck (in the bucket)and get it to walk out basement. Next choice would be EKO. I don't think there is huge diffence... but I also don't think the people in Lyme are going anywhere(as in they will stay in business) since the business has been there a while. My thought was.. if I am going to burn 4 cord in my woodstove every year and heat half my house.... might as well use a boiler and heat teh whole house with 5-6 cord? less soot in house, less wood in house and less mess in house. Tarm is in basement. Tarm more efficient. Wife happy. Also heats hot water. Storage next year. Hoping the Pressurized thing works out. Will be hoping tarm sells teh package. Could be pricey... but still worth it in long run. Payback on whole system since I have my own wood? Shouldn't take too long. Also my house is all hot water heat already.

Birdman said:
... but my Massey Ferguson 33 hp was able to take it off my truck (in the bucket).

Hopefully that's not a dig at John Deere! :]

Status
Not open for further replies.