Gasifier without storage Ques.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
I know storage is the preferred way to go, it seems like everyone here has it. Is anyone not using storage?
What are your burn methods?

chuck172 said:
I know storage is the preferred way to go, it seems like everyone here has it. Is anyone not using storage?
What are your burn methods?

I ran my first year without storage. You'll need to build fires more often, and live with wider temperature variation in the house. The alternative is prolonged idling, which is not ideal.

Our fearless forum moderator ran last winter with a storage system containing sculpture-quality heat exchangers immersed in about 1000 gallons of air. I think he was happy with the results. My prediction is that water would work better, though ;-)

I ran for three years without storage. The system idles on/off and needs to be filled 2-3 times a day to keep a fire from burning completely out in cold weather. Even that way, you still burn a lot less wood than someone with a non-gasifier. The storage adds greater efficiency and flexibility. I am looking forward to my first heating season with storage this year!

We've been running our tarm solo plus 30 w/o storage for 3 years. It works fine for us. My wife has no problem loading the boiler if needed during the day when I'm at work. The shoulder seasons are the most challenging times of operation. We try to follow the forecast and load the boiler according to our anticipated heating needs. It's not too difficult once you have some experience. During cold weather...it's loading 3 times a day on average as others have said.

When you guys say load the stove 3- times a day, thats partial loads right?

Most of the season it is partial loading...for us if there is a stretch of extended cold weather..I'm talikin highs that are still below zero, then we may be filling up at each loading. That would be unusual though in my experience. My typical loading pattern for a average WI winter day (low around zero and high in the teens) would go something like this 6am load boiler, Midday wife checks and loads boiler if necessary, 5pm check and partial load boiler for evening, 10 pm check and load boiler for overnight. I tend to check the boiler much more often than my wife so I will tend catch problems before there is a noticeable lack of heat. :) A well seasoned, dry wood supply goes along way towards minimizing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.