Gasifying!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timberr

Hearth Supporter
Sep 17, 2008
Hill, NH
Well I pulled the trigger last night, I lit the old Eko 25 and will get storage up to temp the next couple of nights.. I am tired of using propane for hotwater, when I have all that nice dry fire wood waiting to be used. Looks like this weekend the weather is going to turn cold. The thing that surprised me was my wife came home, she went down in the basement to get some laundry going and she came up with a big smile on her face, she love's it when the boiler runs!

How sweet she is!

Oh yeah, well my wife is excited to climb into the new GARN and scrub it up for its initial cleaning! Isn't it GREAT to be able to boast about our wives! How often does one hear that on forums today?? :)

" my wife is excited to climb into the new GARN" Tell us, did she put a safety lock on to keep the door open, or does she really trust you that much?

I was cutting this past weekend, and my wife was running the splitter as I carried the large logs over. We agreed to quit after a few hours. Monday it rained all day, but she split and stacked for 4 hours while I was ... playing golf.
I can't get ahead in the cutting because she'll do it again!

We have a more or less "traditional division of labor" (I do cook or do dishes on occasion), and my wife picks up the majority of the in-house chores- which frees me to do all the wood stuff etc that I love. It's a good arrangement for me, and agreeable for both of us.

I really can't believe how much laundry she does for just the 2 of us. She's pretty amazing.

No way I will ever get my wife to help with any of the wood chores, but I don't have to worry about cleaning or laundry so no complaints. She will throw wood in boiler on those really cold day's if she is home. :)

Last night storage hit 175, took our showers this AM and no propane was used! Guess the propane is safe until next April.

Timber,

Im in the process of hooking up 500 gallons of storage to my Tarm. I got the tank in the cellar, the spray foam kit came in the mail yesterday so I will be doing that tonight, and the plumber is suppose to be here within the next week to hook everything up. Im pretty excited to fire it up and see the results. How often do you burn this time of year and also how much in the coldest month of winter. I have about 3500 sq. ft. im heating and 3 people worth of hot water. What should I expect?

I have 1000 gallons of insulated storage, 3 people , I've been burning every 4th day for hot water only. Over the next few weeks that' change I'm guessing.
I built my first fire last October, and I burned every day through the winter sometimes with 2 reloads, milder days just a 4 hr burn. * my wood was not as dry as the man specify for gasifying boilers.

Jaydogg,

There are way to many varriables I will tell you what my situation is and you can go from there. We live just south of the white mountain here in NH, My house is 1,800 sq.ft and I would say it is moderatley insulated. It is just my wife & I but she can take a shower that would cover +3 people! I also have a hot tub that is out side (150-200 gal.) Right now I do one burn in the evening, I fill the boiler 1/2 - 2/3 full and I don't reload it. During the winter I typically burn 2X/day. When I get up I fire the boiler, laod it up and head to work. When I get home I do it again. When it get's really cold -10, I usually get up once in the night and add some wood.

I Like storage because when I bunr it is a full on burn, no ideling. Because of this I see less headaches with cresote and keeping the heat exhangeres clean, less smoking problems. The down side is as storge temp goes down I am running cooler water through less effciant baseboard that was sized for an oil system and 200* water. So I am about to replace the baseboards in the down stairs so I can lower my design temp to 140 - 150.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.