1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

gasket around door falling off after 1 year

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by firewatcher, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firewatcher

firewatcher New Member

Loc:
    New Jersey
    I bought a brand new Osburn 2200 insert last September and now I have noticed the gasket around the door has become unglued??? When it falls out of place I just stuff it back in.

What causes the gasket to detach?

What are the drawbacks on a loose gasket?

What is the best way to fix it?

Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

Loc:
    The coldest major city in Canada
    Questions answered in order of appearance.

Poor glue.
    Chance of closing it in the door if forgotten, as well as the PITA of having to put it back in place.
    Hi-temp silicone.
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Silicone may not hold up to the heat - we like the stove gasket cement, especially the more liquid type - I think it was called G2, there was another thread somewhere about it. Often the cause is that the paint on the stove becomes tacky during the first firings and grabs the gasket - thereby pulling it out. Another reasons is if the manufacturers painted the gasket groove (glue sticks better to raw steel or cast, than to paint)
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Lots of stoves using RTV silicone for door gaskets these days. It is working fine on the the 30-NC. The door shucks heat so fast and the airwash over the glass cools so much the door never seems to get over three hundred.
  5. eernest4

eernest4 New Member

Loc:
    ct
    Some stove manufacturers recommend replacing the door gasket every year or at least imspecting and regluing the gasket if it is comming loose but not damaged.

It must be a fairly common occurance for them to mention it in their owners manuel.
  6. swestall

swestall Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Stuff happens. (all the time) re-attach with stove gasket cement (small tubes are sold at most stove dealers) then go do something you really enjoy and forget it.
  7. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    I just did nine again with hi temp silicone, works great. When taking the old one off also done with the silicone, it was not easy. Had to use a wire wheel to get it cleaned up. Had bad experience with the gasket cement, gasket fell off after opening to load second load after new gasket. Silicone for me for now on.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.