Gasket Around Glass - Fireplace Xtrordinaire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Fireplace Xtrordinaire by Travis Industries with a single door (quite wide). The dealers in my area are, shall we say, not very customer oriented. I've tried a few times to offer them my money to buy their special "kit" for replacing gaskets, but they are not responsive at all. Not in stock, won't set up an order, don't seem to give a rat's patoot about helping you buy that particular product. Must not be enough money in selling parts.

The door requires 3 different gaskets and I'd like to start buying them generically, in bulk, from somewhere besides the dumb dealerships. The gasket that seals the door to the frame of the fireplace was easy to find - it's something like 3/4" wide by 1/8" thick. Of course, the 1/2" rope that you stuff into the trough behind the glass to push it against the frame is quite easy to find too. The hard part is that the glass door itself requires a thin gasket that folds over and should stick to both sides of the glass. The glass itself is not screwed down in any way whatsoever, it just slides into that trough, gravity holds it in place (along with jamming that 1/2" rope in behind in) but the top part of the glass where you slide it in remains wide open.

So, I have two questions. Is there someone who sells gaskets that stick to the glass (and stay stuck!)? What I have now is no problems where it is slid into the trough, but the top (curved) part is only sealed by that wrap around gasket. And of course it leaks. And the back side of the gasket just isn't going to stay with just the simple adhesive. Is it ok to glue that gasket material directly to the glass door? Or will I regret that when I go to clean it?

Status
Not open for further replies.