Gasket Cement and Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

petey305

Feb 6, 2006
Hi Everyone,

Quick question. I recently purchased a Condo that has a Quadra-Fire Classic Bay 1200 pellet stove in it. I had it cleaned and serviced and everything seems to be in order, and then I noticed something (of course noticed after the service guy left...figures).

I found a tube of Rutland Hi-Temp Stove and Gasket Cement in the basement here. I looked at the Stove pipe (Simpson Dura-Vent 4" pellet pipe) and it appears that they used the stove and gasket cement on all the joints (when you feel them, they are hard as a rock).. I know that you don't technically 'need' to seal these joints (as they all have the rope gasket in them), but is there any problem if the pipe joints were sealed with hi-temp gasket cement instead of hi-temp silicone? The only think I can think of is that they won't expand and contract very well.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.