Gasket Change on the fly??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
Coming out of my bathroom, i look at the side of the stove. I had the lights in the living room off, and noticed that I could see flame between the door frame and the body of the stove. I had just loaded it about 20 mins before. My gasket has gotten so compressed I can see the gap. I have the gasket, can I change it on the fly, or does it take a while for the cement to dry? I am not shutting down my stove during the coldest days of the year.

Found the gasket kit, it takes 2 hours for the cement to dry. So it looks like i will have to shut the stove down. I should have checked this in the fall.

Try adjusting the door first is possible. If not, 2 hours isn't so bad. Wear long johns. lol

How about using an ice pick or similar tool to "fluff up" the existing gasket until the weather warms a bit?

pgmr said:
How about using an ice pick or similar tool to "fluff up" the existing gasket until the weather warms a bit?
Yup, did that last night with needlenose- worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.