gasket help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
Ok.
I did something stupid tonight. No need to go into it.

Anyway, The door gasket came loose from the bottom of my door. It's 11 degrees out right now and the low tonight is 7 degrees, with a high of 20 tomorrow.

I'm still running the stove. It's leaking some air but not over firing.

My quesytions is: Do I have to let this thing cool off competely to glue the gasket back on? I can let it get cool enough to touch, but I can't leave this thing without a fire in it for 24 hours or anything right now.

Never tried while it was still hot/warm.
gasket cement cause for like 6 or 8 hrs to set up. The heat might cause it to dry prematurely and crack? Dunno.
I been using silicone as it seems to hot best for me. I always let it set overnight.

Definitely put it back on, anyway you can, even if it is only temporary. I pulled a piece off of mine a few years ago to take to the store to get new stuff and forgot to put it back in. That night I fill the stove with wood for the overnight burn and woke up a few hours later smelling something wrong and being really hot. Went out there and the stove was practically glowing. It was so hot I could hardly get near it, especially with the doors open, I had to dump about four gallons of water on the fire to cool things down enough where I could work on getting the missing gasket back in. I almost had a really serious problem that night, wasn't easy to deal with either. Don't leave that thing unattended without a gasket in it. Just dab a little adhesive in every six to eight inches, enough to hold the gasket in.

I can hold it in place with my hands while I close the door. I paid very close attention to the stove last night before I went to bed and I had full control over it. This morning I only one smoke place on the glass, so I'm not worried about over firing it. I just want to fix it. I might wait until tomorrow or the next day. We're supposed to go back into the 40's then.

Can I use high temperature silicon? Like the 600 degree auto stuff.

karl said:
I can hold it in place with my hands while I close the door. I paid very close attention to the stove last night before I went to bed and I had full control over it. This morning I only one smoke place on the glass, so I'm not worried about over firing it. I just want to fix it. I might wait until tomorrow or the next day. We're supposed to go back into the 40's then.

Can I use high temperature silicon? Like the 600 degree auto stuff.

Yeap, thats what I use. For me holds much better than the cement. Dunno bout the auto stuff though. I always used the high temp made for stoves. Not sure if its different.
a nice 1/4'" to 3/8" bead is plenty. Anything that oozes out from behind only burns of anyway.

sorry to bring up a old thread.. But my gasket is loose on the bottom of my door as well..

My question.. what's a good glue to use. The gasket is still good, just came loose. and did you have any luck gluing the gasket back on hot, warm, or cool?

Thanks
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.