Gasket help...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey

Feeling the Heat
Opened the door on my new insert last night, and discovered a coal must have jumped out on the the gasket and put a good burn in it. It is a bit frayed, but it is still sealing at this point. Is there anything I can do to repair a small tear in my gasket??? I dont mind buying a new one,,but the stove is only a few months old. Thanx in advance,,,this forum is fantastic. Happy Burning....Joey

Try some high temp pematex. Put some in the channel and push in the frayed parts. Put a piece of aluminum foil between the repair on the door and the stove and shut the door for 24 hrs. Peel off the foil and your repaired. Did it a year and a half ago and its still good.

Thanx Motorhead....tried your advise this morning. Got some black ht Permatex..curious to see how it comes out. Its some messy stuff. Thanx again, Joey.

moterhead3 said:
Try some high temp pematex. Put some in the channel and push in the frayed parts. Put a piece of aluminum foil between the repair on the door and the stove and shut the door for 24 hrs. Peel off the foil and your repaired. Did it a year and a half ago and its still good.

Now thats a good fix, thanks for the tip Motorhead3. I dont think a coal hitting the gasket would burn it. They just get frayed on the ends sometimes

Just wanted to say Thanx, motorhead...tried your repair trick and it worked. The only problem I had is that some of the tin foil stuck to the ht Permatex and I couldnt get it off !!! Other then that,,,the gasket is fine. Thanx again.

Status
Not open for further replies.