gasket help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
hope someone can help with this problem. as you can see i'm running a old defiant. the secondary in this old stove runs well but it's still smokey. better than running in updraft mode. it cuts the smoke down 3/4. i tried a experiment and it worked. the smoke is coming from the damper area not being a tite seal around it self. what i did was put some door rope gasket in the spots where there was a gap. for awhile it was almost smokeless burns. small hot fires were smokeless. my problem is the rope gasket is not taking it so well the funace cement that i used along with other garbage grinds it up. does anyone have any ideas on a gasket that is thin yet strong. thanks

I do not know your stove but a strong thin gasket is a glass gasket. Most are flat and get the new style with graphite they are suppose to last.

My VC Resolute used a metal rope gasket for the griddle top. It was meant to take some real abuse. My local VC dealer had spools of this stuff. It was a thin gasket - might work for you!

snowtime said:
I do not know your stove but a strong thin gasket is a glass gasket. Most are flat and get the new style with graphite they are suppose to last.

sorry i may sound dumb, flat gasket? and graphite? can you point me in a direction to see some of these?

fire_man said:
My VC Resolute used a metal rope gasket for the griddle top. It was meant to take some real abuse. My local VC dealer had spools of this stuff. It was a thin gasket - might work for you!

i thought of that gasket also. i have the same thing on my griddle. i would like a size bigger. that's if i can find it. the space that is under the damper hinge is the biggest. if i could get something the size of the gasket that they use on the doors that is soft and can take abuse that would be what i need. i used a smaller type rope gasket that was the size of the griddle plate gasket but not metal and after a few weeks it got caught in the hinge and slid under the hinge, so i doubled up one on top of the old one but thats not holding either. the whole thing need to be cleaned and wire brushed for the cement to stick better. it was to bad that i thought of this after the rebuild. now i'll have to wait for the summer and pull the top off the stove again.

fire_man said:

fire_man where is your vc dealer?

fbelec said:
fire_man said:

I think its called Fireplace Village, its on Rt 28 in Salem NH. I have also used Hearth Works in N. Reading. I don't go there much anymore since we switched to the FV.

fire_man said:
fbelec said:
fire_man said:

I think its called Fireplace Village, its on Rt 28 in Salem NH. I have also used Hearth Works in N. Reading. I don't go there much anymore since we switched to the FV.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.