Gasket Ignorance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
Jotul 118 - 1977 version - cigar box burner

The season wound down months and months ago and I have yet to seriously clean my stove. Here is my (rough) timeline of events, then question.

Stopped burning - left ashes. Took of lid of stove to look around, check flue pipe going to wall and learn a little bit.
Put lid back on, began to start a fire. Smoke was coming out around the lid. Turned the lid the other way to see if the gasket had been imprinted at a different angle, still smoked. Refit, refit, refit and got smoke every time I tired.

Took wood out of the stove. Brused some of the sides with grill brush. Took top off, took second plate out, set to the side. Vacuumed out the stove bottom to remove the ash and all of the sand. Left stove open - it is in a basement with AC, so humidity controlled. Stopped up stove flue outlet with insulation.

Went down this evening to find out what I needed to get to replace the gasket. Would like some input/suggestions/wisdom.

Attached are two pictures of what I found on the bottom of the lid. Can someone point me to good products to purchase to replace the gasket and how I know what 'size' and 'shape' gasket to get? I fear this gasket has been in there so long that even if it HAD BEEN round or squared at one time, I'd be unable to tell now.

1. Can someone tell me what they recommend on replacing this thing and what brands of stuff to use?
2. Need I worry about particles when brushing the rest of the stove clean?
3. Is there something to condition the inside of the stove with to help it last any longer - I can't imagine what, but then again, I aint' so smart with metals.

Thanks everyone!!! Looking forward to a new season!

Attachments

• IMG_20110830_205906 (1).jpg
    IMG_20110830_205906 (1).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_20110830_205824.jpg
    IMG_20110830_205824.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 338
I don't know what size gasket that takes by heart. But when I've changed them in the past I've had luck going to a stove shop that sells that brand stove and asking them. If there is any question then I pull out a piece of the gasket from my pocket (they get that a lot) and the experienced eye (if you can find one) will usually set you up.

pen

pen said:
I don't know what size gasket that takes by heart. But when I've changed them in the past I've had luck going to a stove shop that sells that brand stove and asking them. If there is any question then I pull out a piece of the gasket from my pocket (they get that a lot) and the experienced eye (if you can find one) will usually set you up.

pen

I have yet to find an actual stove shop, or sweep for that matter, that I trust. I really liked my sweep until I found out he ordered me 5" pipe and a 5" thimble pipe to hook up my stove. It would have been much easier, and maybe cheaper, to get 1 5" to 6" adapter and then run 6' of 6" pipe. Not to mention, I could have then used any stove that uses 6" - as is now, I'll have to find a 6" to 5" adapter, if they make it, or us the 5 to 6 backwards - not sure that's a good idea.

My bet is 3/8" gasket. Its the most common. However i just regasketed a newer jotul and it had 3 sizes. However any major pieces, like your top, were the 3/8".

Hope that helps good luck.

I am not sure if it is an asbestos gasket or not. Jotuls, along with other stove manufacturers, were still using asbestos in the 70s. Either way, I would wear a 1/2 mask with P100 filters, wet down the gasket with soapy water in a spray bottle, do the removal outside, and bag and seal it for disposal. Safety first!

Thanks for the replies. If there is anything that I need not miss, please let me know. I'm excited to get this stove ready for the burning season, now that I FINALLY have some decent wood (I think).

Couple more questions - can someone point me to an online source for the gasket and cement?

I read another post that talked about high and low density gaskets. How do I know which I need and how to tell?

Thanks,

You can buy them in lots of places. Woodstock is one (www.woodstove.com) and you can also buy gaskets at most hardware stores too.

Status
Not open for further replies.