gasket leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chemical_man

Feb 18, 2013
NS, Canada
I'll need to replace the door gasket this year, the dollar bill test fails on the hinge side of the door. Is this a normal spot for the gasket to fail sealing since there is no adjustment possible?

This is the first time replacing it and I did not do the test when it was new (ignorant on that I guess), so I can't say if it was tight out of manufacturing.

General procedure: Take old old one off, clean, apply silicone cement, lay gasket on, put door on stove and close it?
I assume the door should not be too tight or it might cause some issues later on with an air leak?

Thanks!

Funny after thought after re-reading this: I'm quite comfortable tackling car repairs but this I am asking questions that are probably easy!

Replacing a gasket is usually a pretty easy and straight-forward job. Be sure you get the right gasket material that matches the OEM gasket. Some gaskets may look the same but may have a different density or a different inner construction.
There's also this helpful Hearth.com article on the topic:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_gasket

Replacing a gasket is usually a pretty easy and straight-forward job. Be sure you get the right gasket material that matches the OEM gasket. Some gaskets may look the same but may have a different density or a different inner construction.
There's also this helpful Hearth.com article on the topic:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_gasket

If I read this correctly, it says to install the new gasket and let it setup before putting the door back on. I don't recall where I got my method from, but I put the door back on and close it tightly for a few hours whilst the adhesive is still wet. Once setup, I cleanup any adhesive that gets squeezed out. Then leave the door open for a week until it hardens.
After changing a few gaskets, I the biggest issue I've had is when I used to much adhesive.

Too much adhesive is the risk. With the door closed the adhesive can get compressed into the gasket and make it too stiff. I made this mistake the first time I replaced the Jotul's gasket.

Thanks for the links. About as hard as I thought it might be. Didn't know about starting at the hinge side, I'd hope the manual has that listed in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.