Gasket material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muleman51

Feb 18, 2008
SE Minnesota
I need to remove the back of my Adobe again. There is tube of silicone sealing it now, I had hoped that was the last time I would have to clean it, Stupid Me. I am wondering if there is some sort of gasket like weather stripping that you could peel and stick on one side than screw back on the back panel. Then you could take it off again without destoying everthing. Just a thought.

I use a gasket material (about 2" wide and on a roll) that does just that for industrial boiler casing doors except that it doesn't stick. We just punch the stud holes out and put the gasket over it. It is reusable many times. For the life of me I can't remember any brand names but maybe you can find it on McMaster-Carr. (www.mcmaster.com I think). If I can find a supplier I will post it.

There is also a product called 'Press Seal' which is basically 'putty on a rope' that is only useable once but it goes on and off easily. Just keep a number of rolls on hand. I don't think it is too expensive.

I've used the high temp silicone. Seals great but makes doors hard to get off. Removing it can be a pain. Use it in a very thin bead and it should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.