Gasket off interior door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chutes

Sep 8, 2008
CT
Two quick questions please, as this is happening as we speak. The gasket off the interior door is come lose. It is all in one piece and appears to be reusable. This is the thick gasket that goes around interior of door, not the gasket that goes around the glass. I have removed it and put it in a safe place. My first question is should I let fire die and heat my house via oil until i can fix it, or is it safe to use without the gasket (just less efficient)? And secondly, I assume that this is some kind of adhesive that I need to use to reinstall. Can someone recommend what I should use? I know I can probably search the forums to find out, but right now I'm just concerned as to whether not having that gasket on is in any way a safety hazzard.

Thanks-
Dave

I wouldnt light it without the gasket, it might take off on you. they make an adhesive to reglue it. stove shop shop should have it.

Let the fire go out. Go to the hardware store and as for some gasket cement. You will also need time for the gasket cement or glue to dry. Check the door for tightness when finished in case you need to readjust the latch.

get ready to get the same thing said 20 different ways 30 different times

My windshield in my car was loose so I just removed it . . . should I stop somewhere and fix this or should I just keep driving and hope that nothing bad happens? ;)

Yeah, it's a safety hazard and should be fixed before using . . . as mentioned . . . gasket cement should be used and this should be at any stove shop or hardware store.

Thanks all. Let fire go out. Went to hardware store to get the adhesive today. gasket is drying now. fire it back up in a couple hours.

see that wasnt so difficult was it? wood stoves require mostly common sense

Hanko, I'm not a newbie. I've been here almost as long as you have. If this is not a forum where one can ask questions of others without condescending BS then I will happily go elsewhere. Seriously. I had a fire going when I asked the question. I wanted to know what - if any - safety hazard there was. Maybe this isn't the place for that. You are easy enough to ignore though...

Oh well dont know what to tell you guy. Usually if you think you have a problem, you do. trust your gut feeling. Basically use common sense. As jake said, if the windshield falls out of your car, do you keep driving? If youve been around for a while, id think you know if your door gasket is bad, repalce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.