Gasket Problem on new stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatingTheMoneyPit

Nov 2, 2012
So, I recently had a Hearthstone Clydesdale insert installed into an existing masonry fireplace. Everything seems well until I run my break in fire. I'm following the manual & have a bunch of very small splits but I didn't really have much wood in there.

I checked the hottest part I could find on the insert & it was about 350 degrees using an IR thermometer. I believe this was on the flue collar but it's very dark & hard to see exactly which part it was. I think it was burning relatively cleanly, it was very clear inside the unit... I had lots of blue flames with the air 2/3 down... only a little smoke out of the chimney & slight wood smell outside, no odor inside.

After the fire is dead & the unit is down to maybe 100 degrees, I open the door & the gasket is pulling away from the door/unit. Part of the gasket is stuck to the unit & part to the door. I read a little online about this... obviously the gasket will need to be reattached.

What does everyone think, should I just press the dealer for some gasket cement & try to DIY? I'm very sure I didn't heat this up too much, is this just a flaw with Hearthstone models? It's just a little disappointing to finally get this installed & now I've got to deal with something so soon.

Call your dealer/installer & get it corrected under warranty. This is not a problem, per se, with Hearthstone stoves, but it happens from time to time...

Reactions: BrowningBAR
I just bought a Clydesdale recently and had the exact same problem. About 8 inches stuck to the door as I opened it. My dealer gave me a tube of gasket cement and I'm glad he did because after another fire, some more of the gasket came off from another part of the door. I would say all and all about 1/2 the gasket around the entire door pulled away. I would expect more out of Hearthstone considering how much the unit cost, but it was a pretty easy fix. My dealer said it's pretty common (not sure if he meant it was common to Hearthstone or just woodstoves in general). I've been burning fires for about a month or two now and have not had this problem since.

I just bought a Clydesdale recently and had the exact same problem. About 8 inches stuck to the door as I opened it. My dealer gave me a tube of gasket cement and I'm glad he did because after another fire, some more of the gasket came off from another part of the door. I would say all and all about 1/2 the gasket around the entire door pulled away. I would expect more out of Hearthstone considering how much the unit cost, but it was a pretty easy fix. My dealer said it's pretty common (not sure if he meant it was common to Hearthstone or just woodstoves in general). I've been burning fires for about a month or two now and have not had this problem since.
I think I'd expect a bit more from the dealer, too. A warranty repair should be more than "here - fix it yourself". Especially twice. IMO, of course

I think I'd expect a bit more from the dealer, too. A warranty repair should be more than "here - fix it yourself". Especially twice. IMO, of course

Yeah, the dealer I ended up going with charges 40 dollars for a home visit, so I didn't want them to come out for something silly like a gasket. The 40 dollar visit thing kind of pissed me off because he sprung it up last minute, but I think it's because the distance I bought the stove and the dealership is pretty far.

My first problem with the Osburn was the gasket, I think when they installed it they stretched it a bit too much because I could see fire between the gasket and and the steel the gasket should have been sealing up against. I got a tube of glue and a new gasket and did the repair myself now all is good and I was happy with the service I got.

There are some threads here on how to properly replace gaskets that may be helpful. One thing that's often said is to avoid stretching them at all, or even poof them up just a little as it goes around.

Status
Not open for further replies.