Gasket replacement - Clydesdale 8491

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rygar

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2013
i need to replace the gasket, any good resources on this? Last time i tried i failed miserable. I couldnt get it to stick in its channel and the rope got wet from the glue and hard. I am about to buy another replacement and all the videos i am finding have the gasket on the door, mine is on the woodstove itself.

I had that happen with watery gasket adhesive several years ago. It did the same thing you experienced. I had to remove it and start over. Now I won't touch that stuff. Instead, use black or red RTV for the gasket adhesive. Several stove companies are switching to this. Put a generous bead in the groove, but not so much as to create a lot of ooze, maybe a 3/16" bead. Bed the gasket without stretching. You may want to use some masking tape to hold the gasket in place in a few locations. Cut the end about 1/4" long for a snug fit against the beginning. When done, place a sheet of newspaper over the door opening and close the door over it. Let it set up for at least 12 hrs.

I had that happen with watery gasket adhesive several years ago. It did the same thing you experienced. I had to remove it and start over. Now I won't touch that stuff. Instead, use black or red RTV for the gasket adhesive. Several stove companies are switching to this. Put a generous bead in the groove, but not so much as to create a lot of ooze, maybe a 3/16" bead. Bed the gasket without stretching. You may want to use some masking tape to hold the gasket in place in a few locations. Cut the end about 1/4" long for a snug fit against the beginning. When done, place a sheet of newspaper over the door opening and close the door over it. Let it set up for at least 12 hrs.
OK so im gonna chock it up as bad materials. i will buy the rutland stove gasket cement. is that a good brand?

Rutland makes both types. Their black stove gasket cement will work. It's what was conventionally used for years. Follow their directions if you use that cement. They have a YouTube video on the process. Many of us have switched to RTV. It works well and is easier to work with without hardening the gasket.

Rutland makes both types. Their black stove gasket cement will work. It's what was conventionally used for years. Follow their directions if you use that cement. They have a YouTube video on the process. Many of us have switched to RTV. It works well and is easier to work with without hardening the gasket.

what is RTV. i would rather go with the best option available.

RTV stands for room temperature vulcanizing. It is an air-dry silicone adhesive and sealant. I used Loctite Red RTV on our stove gasket. JB Weld and Permatex also make RTV red. @Highbeam went higher in temp using RTV copper by Permatex. Just don't use RTV blue. I used that on a stove years ago. It went on fine, but it hardens to a rock like substance that is very hard to remove in the future.

Yes, I used a thick bead of the copper RTV. Honestly, the looks of the spooged out extra RTV mattered to me. I don't want a bright red, blue, or orange bead and I planned on a thick layer of RTV since the stove's design puts the nuts for the glass under the gasket in the RTV bed. The higher temperature rating was a bonus. Some OEMs use black RTV, "ultrablack" at the parts stores.

The thickness of RTV is important. It doesn't soak into the gasket or run off. It's thick like toothpaste. I believe that it will bridge irregularities to provide a seal under the gasket too. It's used in the automotive world as a gasket.

RTV stands for room temperature vulcanizing. It is an air-dry silicone adhesive and sealant. I used Loctite Red RTV on our stove gasket. JB Weld and Permatex also make RTV red. @Highbeam went higher in temp using RTV copper by Permatex. Just don't use RTV blue. I used that on a stove years ago. It went on fine, but it hardens to a rock like substance that is very hard to remove in the future.
thank you so much. i really appreciate the input and will listen.

Honestly, the looks of the spooged out extra RTV mattered to me.
Whether it's copper-colored or red I would prefer not to see it, though it is inside the firebox. I managed to do ours with zero spooge. It's held up fine for 4 seasons so far.

Reactions: Highbeam
Whether it's copper-colored or red I would prefer not to see it, though it is inside the firebox. I managed to do ours with zero spooge. It's held up fine for 4 seasons so far.

Mine stayed mostly hidden as well but I've seen some really bad jobs where lots of RTV spooged out and it wasn't pretty. Like the silver antizeize when you try and wipe it clean it just spreads!