Gasket rope

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
You can buy gasket rope for $5.00 and OEM for $35.00 is there a quality difference? Some is white some is dark gray and difference there?

The grey stuff is graphite impregnated to resist sticking to the stove when you close the door and supposedly for it to last longer. As to third party instead of OEM, I have found that most all of the third party is low density rope. On my stove you have to have the high density stuff or the door latch does not work when the low density rope squishes too flat.

Same on the door on my stove BB. Although the low density gray stuff I had actually has turned white since the fall.

Corie said:
Same on the door on my stove BB. Although the low density gray stuff I had actually has turned white since the fall.

In a couple of months you will be somewhere where they buy high density rope by the truck load. BTW, hunt up my first stove in the warehouse and you can strip out some high density from a stove that only had five or six fires in it.

Corie said:

I can relate to that, sounds like my hair (and probably the grey matter underneath it).

I used to use the white rope;have since found out that the dark grey stuff lasts longer.Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

We sell "RUTLAND" brand gasket at our shop and it works good for replacement.

we use both low and high density gasket material for or door gaskets depending on model (essentially what door is on it) some of our doors (mostly pellet stoves) have a wide channel that accepts the thicker 3/4" low density, and the non-cats have a "flush mount" door which requires high density. its not a quality issue with the various densities, it just depends on the application its used in, different doors use different gaskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.