Gasket silicone is rated for 600 and stove likes 650-700 degrees??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
ok this stuff was sent to me from Quadrafire this was the orange stuff i was talkin about in previous posts. its used to hold the gasket on behind the firebricks. the only problem is i was told by guys on this form that the Isle royale likes to cruise at 650 700 degrees yet this stuff is only rated at 600 degrees intermittently???

Attachments

• 20110324_02.jpg
    20110324_02.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 20110324_03.jpg
    20110324_03.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 20110324_04.jpg
    20110324_04.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 229
RTV is what I also suggested and why I speculated that insulation is packed around the intake pipes. It should be fine. The temp may stay below 500 back there. Even if it hardens up a bit it will still act as an adhesive. Clean the surface well before applying. Then wipe off any oils with some alcohol. Let dry and glue it.

Someone told me that the temp inside the fire box could be twice the surface temp,any truth to that?

You'll be much hotter than 600 degrees inside that stove, yet lots of manufacturers use red rtv to hold the bricks in. Worst case scenario, a bricks pops out. When we want to use an adhesive on brick inside of a stove or to seal where temps will get over 500-600, we use Mill Pak.

The part that is getting glued is on an air intake flap, located on the outside of the firebox, not inside.

Mill-Pac is good stuff, but it's a sealant. According to the mfg. it has no adhesive properties. Chris needs an adhesive here. Quad recommends RTV for this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.