gaskets around glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubbz

Jan 18, 2007
Pocono Mts, Pennsylvania
Owner of a Breckwell insert for the last 15 years. Iv'e changed the door gasket many times but never around the windows on the sides. I assume these windows are bolted on from the inside. Reading all the posts I have yet to see where anyone has changed the window gaskets. Since they are never opened , should they not be disturbed?

I was just thinking about changing this seal on the glass on my 10 year old Beckwell insert. The seal is hard and looks to be leaking from the streaks on the glass. It's not clear to me what rope seal size is needed without removing it. I don't want to remove it without a replacement on-hand. I should have thought of doing this during the summer. Does anyone know what size the seal channel is on a P23?

I can not find anything in the Dealer Manual but it should be 1/4" round gasket between the glass and the door. The gasket is only on three sides leaving the bottom open for the airwash. 1/4" Gasket should be $1.00 - $1.25 a liner foot. There is no cement.

It is rare for the gasket to go bad so if you do not see any holes or it looks damaged it should be good.

I do stock the gasket but I am running low and have a roll on order.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
I can not find anything in the Dealer Manual but it should be 1/4" round gasket between the glass and the door. The gasket is only on three sides leaving the bottom open for the airwash. 1/4" Gasket should be $1.00 - $1.25 a liner foot. There is no cement.

It is rare for the gasket to go bad so if you do not see any holes or it looks damaged it should be good.

I do stock the gasket but I am running low and have a roll on order.

Eric

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

kinsman stoves said:
The gasket is only on three sides leaving the bottom open for the airwash.

Mine has the gasket all the way around between the door frame and glass. An air wash is suppose to pull air from the room? Wouldn't allot of smoke go thought this air wash port during the smoky start-up?

I do have a steel plate at the bottom of the window that looks like it's there for a reason. (my stove came with the house)

Lance1 said:
kinsman stoves said:
The gasket is only on three sides leaving the bottom open for the airwash.

Mine has the gasket all the way around between the door frame and glass. An air wash is suppose to pull air from the room? Wouldn't allot of smoke go thought this air wash port during the smoky start-up?

I do have a steel plate at the bottom of the window that looks like it's there for a reason. (my stove came with the house)

When the stove is started the combustion blower starts causing the stove to have a negative pressure inside and this should keep all the smoke and gases headed to the vent. If the vent is clogged you will have leaks into the room. Every manufacturer of stoves has something different or their claim that their stove is better because of it. Kinda like the world of firearms or small engines.

Eric

I assume some bozo put the seal on the bottom of mine, the more I look at it with the plate, the more is seems it was suppose to be an air wash port. I have to decide if I want a cleaner glass or more heat.

Lance1 said:
I assume some bozo put the seal on the bottom of mine, the more I look at it with the plate, the more is seems it was suppose to be an air wash port. I have to decide if I want a cleaner glass or more heat.

Do some research on your brand and model or just say what the heck and remove it. I would research first. I have seen some stoves with a full gasket door/window.

Eric

I wish mine had an air wash...My glass get crappy with ash after a couple of days.

The seal at the bottom turned out to be a bunch of crud clogging the port. Someone else owned my house/stove for 7 years prior to me (they had animals too).

Thanks Eric for the information!!

Lance1 said:
The seal at the bottom turned out to be a bunch of crud clogging the port. Someone else owned my house/stove for 7 years prior to me (they had animals too).

Thanks Eric for the information!!

I accept all forms of payment, cash, check, c/c, and or beer.

Eric

I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning stove run to see how well it keeps the glass clean. I might need to drag the air compressor in to clean the port. I only slid a piece of an aluminum can in the port to clear the chunks.

Eric, PM me your PayPal address. %-P

Doing a run after I cleaned the air wash port and now my flame is large and wild under the same running conditions. Adjusting the damper didn't help. On start up the whole fire chamber was a big ball of flame. The glass is nice and clean except the upper corners.

kinsman stoves said:
Lance1 said:

Do some research on your brand and model or just say what the heck and remove it. I would research first. I have seen some stoves with a full gasket door/window.

Eric

Hello,I have an old Jamestown J1000 with an airwash. I have always put gasket all the way around..Now I am wondering if I should leave bottom without gasket at the air wash ...any thoughts....manual doesnt spec anything on it.

dubbz said:
Owner of a Breckwell insert for the last 15 years. Iv'e changed the door gasket many times but never around the windows on the sides. I assume these windows are bolted on from the inside. Reading all the posts I have yet to see where anyone has changed the window gaskets. Since they are never opened , should they not be disturbed?

Hi I need help. I just cleaned my stove and discovered that the gasket around the door is frayed on the side opposite of the handle. I don't know if I should operate my stove tonight with this damaged gasket. This stove is 4 years old. Can anyone answer me?

splash said:
dubbz said:

Hi I need help. I just cleaned my stove and discovered that the gasket around the door is frayed on the side opposite of the handle. I don't know if I should operate my stove tonight with this damaged gasket. This stove is 4 years old. Can anyone answer me?

Unless the gasket has gaps or holes it it it should be fine.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
splash said:
dubbz said:

Unless the gasket has gaps or holes it it it should be fine.

Eric

Thanks so much. I contacted the dealer but haven't heard back. I think I probably shouldn't operate it but it's suppose to get really cold tonight so I am taking a chance. hopefully, I can get a new gasket on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.