1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Gaskets Question--need advice

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jimmieguns, Dec 29, 2012.

1. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    i am replacing the door gaskets and i think they call for 5/16 but i can only find 3/8 inch in my area. its a TIGHT TIGHT squeeze but i think i could get it in.. IS that safe to try or best to wait and keep looking for the 5/16 THANKS!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Shmudda

Shmudda Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Western Pennsylvania
    If you can close the door and latch it then go for it. That larger one will not hurt at all.........

Craig
  3. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

That may hurt the latch over time and eventually break it from pressure. I would stick with the right size gasket. Have you looked at Tractor Supply, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware places like these often carry or can get quickly what you need.

Pete
  4. madison

madison Minister of Fire

Loc:
    41.33°N 74.18°W and 44.67°N 111.0°W
    Do it right the first time.

If capable, read the instructions/manual.

Or at least state the model of stove you in your signature and you could possibly get some better advice. Also, check if it is graphite impregnated prior to purchasing the wrong type.
  5. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Champlain Valley, Vermont
    Amen on the latch issue. I came to grief on this, even though I used the 3/8 gasket recommended by the manufacturer and had my sweep put it in for me. The door was a major bear to close, and after a few weeks not just the latch broke, but the cast iron lip on the frame wore through. Because the stove was out of warranty and the company will only sell you the frame-door combo, it would have cost over $500 to fix.

Be very, very careful with replacing those gaskets, and wait until you're out of heating season to try it. I would say you're better off using a smaller thickness laid down pushed together a little bit if necessary than to use one that's too fat.
  6. sticks

sticks Member

Loc:
    Central IN
    is that a vermont Castings insert? They may have used that 5/16 armaseal gasket but I cant remember for sure.
  7. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    We bought our stove used and after the first few fires, being run aways, we narrowed it down to the gasket being the wrong size, too big, and letting in too much air because the door wasn't closing all the way.
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Get the right sized gasket. Start calling around to local hdwre stores and stove shops and you'll find it.
  9. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    OK thanks for your help
  10. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks-- i guess you were using alot of wood like i am now :(
  11. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Yes it is a VC and you're right i saw online somewhere that its armaseal 5/16 you were right thanks
  12. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for sharing! yes i understand your point and it makes sense-- Thanks!
  13. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks Petw-------Ace hardware website lists it-- will call my nearest store tomorrow! Thank !!!