gaskets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

netmouse

May 25, 2008
North NJ
I still have not yet bit the bullet and replaced my stove. Until then I have been trying to get the gaskets fixed and have problems. Any advice is appreciated.

The NJ local Vermont Casting store guy is too busy (end of year) to visit my home, but I took the stove doors to him for new gaskets. It is a Defiant VC - 1984 or so.

He installed new gaskets but they were a problem, and the door would not close. The door openings have a narrow rim around them that sticks up and hits the gasket in the middle. I showed him a photo of the stove and he was surprised to see a rim around the door openings. It is an old, old stove. So some days later he then put in a narrower gasket. I took the doors home and the hinge side is very, very tight and, if I really push the door, I can get it to latch closed, but the latch side of the door does not come in contact with the body of the stove as the hinge side is so tight, so there is not a tight seal.

I called my chimney sweep hoping he could visit and figure it out. He says it would be worthless for him to visit as he would say the same thing that he says on the phone - my door is warped. This is bizarre as for years he has said my stove is great, as well as he never mentioned the gaskets needed replacing after 20 years of annual cleanings. It showed up in an energy audit and a dollar bill in the door in spots is so loose there was no contact. He also said there are only two types of gaskets for the VC old defiant, and if it is not working there is nothing he can do about that. I asked him to show up (I offered a paid service call) but he will not. His analysis sounds like total garbage to me as the door closed before this, as the store guy also points out when I went back to him.

I have the store guy saying he would visit after the new year. But what do you think about all this gasket not working stuff?

Still sounds like your door gasketing is too thick. From what I understand from your post, your gasket (roping) is recessed into the door. The "narrow rim" that you mention is supposed to go into the gasketing to make it seal better. I would suggest you try to find a manual on the stove and find out exactly what thickness your rope should be and replace it with that size. The new gasketing will make the door difficult to close for the first fire or 2, but shouldn't have to be forced into closing. If you do force it, the door could become warped and then you would have more trouble. Sounds like your stove guy doesn't know as much as he leads on. Your chimney sweep sounds like what I would call a "Yes man". He agrees with everything and can't make a decision on his own.

I have the operation manual. It's installation chapter seems fairly detailed. Under maintenance, gaskets, all it says is to use VC gaskets. One thing in the store guy's favor, he said he is shortly visiting vc and will ask them when there. I'm not sure if his trip was this past holiday week off or future.

Here is a link to Defiant parts. If you scroll down a little, they show a timeline of specific models. There is also a chart showing identification of the difference in models. Yours sounds to be aDefiant II or IIA based on the year you mentioned, but you will have to make that decision. You should be able to locate your model and find the correct parts. I think I would go ahead and find parts from another source, as you don't know how long it will be before he can make it out. Furthermore, who knows when he plans to ask VC about it. I am going to make the assumption that if he is a dealer, he should have this info available to him.

Thanks. The IA does have gaskets. (II doesn't). Clicking the manual link on any has nothing, so glad I have my manual. I'll poll the store guy early this coming week to see his next step. I am very not technical. This is getting me one big step closer to buying a new stove on the quote I got for a Jotul 500.

Status
Not open for further replies.