1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Gasoline In Clothes

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Brokenwing, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Brokenwing

Brokenwing Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Maryland
    If this is not in the right spot, mods please move it. Tonight not thinking I loaded the auger in my brother in laws truck, and got gas on good clothes. I have washed them in detergent, and they stink really bad. I put them out on the clothes line till I find a solution. If any of you have any ideas, or maybe your wives would, please let me know. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    hanging out on the line for a couple days is what I've done

Dawn dishwashing detergenet has helped with WD40 stink - maybe gas too ?
  3. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    Try Arm and Hammer Washing Powder along with your detergent, its a yellow box usually on the bottom shelf with the laundry soap. My hubby works in a warehouse at a chemical plant, his clothes are filthy and full of petroleum based stinky things. Worth a try for sure.
    milleo likes this.
  4. cygnus

cygnus Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central, NJ
    I use goop hand cleaner for those types of stains. Just drop it in with the laundry. It can work wonders.
  5. Brokenwing

Brokenwing Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Maryland
    thanks for all the suggestions, I greatly appreciate them all.
  6. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
    A Match???
  7. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    The smell will go away with time, actually pretty fast. Its evaporating which is why you can smell it.
    If you can't wait you could try some hydrogen peroxide on it but it may bleach the fabric.
  8. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    Let them soak, put a little baking soda in the water, change the water a few times, then wash them.
  9. nate379

nate379 Guest

Get a washing machine that actually washes clothes? :p

I had my pants and shirt soaked with diesel a few weeks ago (got damn Bobcats blow fuel back when filling them and I forgot about it). Was bad enough it stank up the whole office building and I ended up going home early cause it was burning my legs. Apparently my legs are pansies. ;em

Figured it would stink forever but couldn't even tell after throwing in the wash just with normal soap and cycle.

I wash the garage rags, they are full of oil, grease, gas, etc, etc and for the most part them come out clean.
  10. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    I just air them out outside for a day or two, then wash. The smell goes away.
  11. Trickle

Trickle New Member

Loc:
    East Central Missouri
    Yep, what everyone else said. Air out till completely dry with minimal smell then run them through another load with baking soda or borax, should be good.