Gasoline In Clothes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokenwing

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2012
Northern Maryland
If this is not in the right spot, mods please move it. Tonight not thinking I loaded the auger in my brother in laws truck, and got gas on good clothes. I have washed them in detergent, and they stink really bad. I put them out on the clothes line till I find a solution. If any of you have any ideas, or maybe your wives would, please let me know. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

hanging out on the line for a couple days is what I've done

Dawn dishwashing detergenet has helped with WD40 stink - maybe gas too ?

Try Arm and Hammer Washing Powder along with your detergent, its a yellow box usually on the bottom shelf with the laundry soap. My hubby works in a warehouse at a chemical plant, his clothes are filthy and full of petroleum based stinky things. Worth a try for sure.

Reactions: milleo
I use goop hand cleaner for those types of stains. Just drop it in with the laundry. It can work wonders.

thanks for all the suggestions, I greatly appreciate them all.

The smell will go away with time, actually pretty fast. Its evaporating which is why you can smell it.
If you can't wait you could try some hydrogen peroxide on it but it may bleach the fabric.

Let them soak, put a little baking soda in the water, change the water a few times, then wash them.

Get a washing machine that actually washes clothes? :p

I had my pants and shirt soaked with diesel a few weeks ago (got damn Bobcats blow fuel back when filling them and I forgot about it). Was bad enough it stank up the whole office building and I ended up going home early cause it was burning my legs. Apparently my legs are pansies. ;em

Figured it would stink forever but couldn't even tell after throwing in the wash just with normal soap and cycle.

I wash the garage rags, they are full of oil, grease, gas, etc, etc and for the most part them come out clean.

I just air them out outside for a day or two, then wash. The smell goes away.

Yep, what everyone else said. Air out till completely dry with minimal smell then run them through another load with baking soda or borax, should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.