Gasser, about to pull the trigger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I was up on the roof I also ran the brush down the oil flue, which had never been swept. House was built in '96. There was 1/4" of diesel soot in there. A lot of it fell into the Burnham so it got a very thorough cleaning too.

NASTY mess to clean up. We went through 4 bags in the old garrage / car canister vac that we had outside with the hose & a few extension hoses running into the basement window. Time to junk that old vac now, LOL.

Reactions: GS7
Good luck with the chimney height adjustment. I had to do something similar in our old house for a wood stove but we were able to grab on, and push the entire stack up a couple inches and prop a couple of 2x4s underneath then grab on and lower it all back down on the new parts. You will likely need bracing underneath the bottom edge of the stack, or use the support clamps sold for extremely long chimney assemblies and prop that in the air with wood braces while you are swapping things around.

Atmospheric boiler + atmospheric storage = essentially increasing the total boiler water volume.....

I'm not a fan of the build it yourself tanks with the liners in them.

Folks have asked before about using home heating oil tanks. Old ones are cheap, but need a lot of cleaning. New ones could be cost effective. The 330 gal "obround" design would really fit my space requirements well.....but everyone seems to think corrosion is going to be an issue. I sort of have a hard time agreeing with that. The boiler requires treatment chemical, so add enough chemical to treat the total system volume and all should be happy.

Poly tote tanks will not withstand the temperatures, but I found one of these at a rather reasonable price that is close to me:

http://www.hooversolutions.com/350-gallon-ibc.html

Status
Not open for further replies.