Gasser Comparison Chart Needed (by neutral party)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ADKmountainman

Oct 20, 2014
Northern Adirondack Park
I've poked around a good few times over the last few years and have not been able to find a spreadsheet or similar comparing the various gassers, indoor and outdoor. I bet a fairly good one has been created by one of us, but I cannot find. Any help?

I've got a Central Boiler Classic 5648 dual fuel that I placed in service in November 2002. From what I'm reading here and elsewhere, I should expect that I am arriving at the end of its useful life, so plan to replace before it fails (jacket rust through is most common) in the middle of winter. This is my only heating system for both my house and office building.

Going to gasser for sure, could build small outbuilding around an indoor gasser, or buy one built for outdoors. I'm agnostic at this point, just want to gather data. My burner location is downhill from my buildings and the open system has been very challenging to manage from an air-lock perspective. I have loops get air-locked all of the time. Have built work-arounds, but their all PITAs. So I'll likely ask advice on pressurized/non and thermal storage, but just want to go after comparisons in this thread if we can keep it to that.

For now, I'd like to know if anyone has built out a comparison spreadsheet before I go about that mind numbing task. (at least for this mind) Thanks!

I have a great spreadsheet built back in 2010 by someone to do boiler selection and operational analysis. It has a wood consumption estimator, brands/models, break even analysis, and project cost. I added a supplier database and my pump sizing spreadsheet as workbooks.

I've not messed with it in years because once you have a system you're committed and into tending and feeding. I've often thot it could become an awesome tool for this site, but there would need to be a keeper. The Boiler Models workbook has EKO, Tarm, Garn, Innova, Froling, but there are many new designs out now, but it's a good starting point and the price is right... free. PM your email address and I'll send. I only ask you return a copy with your updates if you use it. You're welcome to pass it on, because that's how I got it.

Reactions: flyingcow
Sending it out to several requestors who I presume will be updating at least the boiler model/price workbook. If you want a copy may want to wait till these guys update the boiler model database.

Up to the Moderator if they want to review and make available.

I have been researching outdoor wood gasification units for the past three years. I didn't go as far as to make a spreadsheet but in the end I was down to Central boiler E-classic 1450 or the Portage and Main Optimizer 250. I ended up buying the optimizer 250 due to the higher effeciency and better servicability over the E-1450. Portage and Main has really gone out of their way to help me with my install. Any questions I have or parts I need they are right on top of it.

I forgot all about that great resource Chris. Hope the guys above check this post again so they don't waste a bunch of time.Thanks

Reactions: flyingcow
Status
Not open for further replies.