gasser question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

walkerdogman85

Feb 21, 2012
ohio
Can someone please explain to me what kind of boilers you guys use. I bought a hardy this last spring it is simple put wood in once or twice a day and done house stays warm and all the hot water I can stand plus our savings on the electric bill has been great. I guess I just don't understand how these units work. When I get on here I am lost not trying to be disrepecticfull just trying to learn thank you

Is the Hardy you bought the new Gassification unit I see on there Web page? Or do you own an H2 or H3?

Just do a lot of reading. Most guys have their boilers listed in their profile info, shows up in the bottom of their posts. Then just search the boilers.

Generally & simply speaking, gasifiers are more efficient and use less wood. And burn cleaner.

Can someone please explain to me what kind of boilers you guys use. i'm not sure I understand your question, I bought a hardy this last spring it is simple put wood in once or twice a day and done house stays warm and all the hot water I can stand it seems everything is working just fine for you plus our savings on the electric bill has been great. I guess I just don't understand how these units work.What else is there to know? When I get on here I am lost don't feel bad, so am I most of the timeo_O not trying to be disrepecticfull just trying to learn thank you me either:)

WD, you purchased a excellent outdoor wood boiler (OWB). There are many of them here in the hills of tennessee. All the Hardy owners I spoke with loved their boilers. It's in my DNA to research major purchases which is how I found Hearth and learned about gasification.

Bottom line when wood is heated like being burned in a closed chamber the wood gives off gasses that are actually combustible. Carbon monoxide actually burns a blue flame, hydrogen obviously burns and there may be a few more combustible products in the smoke. SO the upper chamber of my gasser is just like your Hardy when I have my damper door open..... All the smoke and those combustible gasses just exit the flue. BUT, once the wood gets burning good in my BioMass, I close that damper door. Now the only exit for the smoke and those combustible gasses is down thru the hot coals which ignite those combustible gasses as they exit the nozzle in the BOTTOM of the upper chamber. So now instead of the products of combustion lazily leaving the flue... They come out the bottom and it looks... No kidding... Like a jet engine in full afterburner. So obviously a gasser extracts energy from the wood that a traditional boiler allows to exit the flue.

Because this gasification process is the most efficient when a gasser is running wide open, a gasser system typically includes a thermal battery of some type to store that excess energy to be use later. Essentially all here use water as that thermal battery (storage). Welcome to Hearth and enjoy your Hardy. I'm presuming your Hardy is the standard stainless steel cube I see so often. If you bought a hardy gasser you have a better idea how it works. Bummer being sick... But gives me lots of time to answer questions like yours. Do a Wikipedia on "gasification". Happy new year.

SMOKELESS, High efficiency,

Tennman got it right.

Upside down fire, burns up the smoke, and stores it in the hot water. You burn a few times a day (or few times a week), instead of always keeping a fire going in the boiler.

ok i dont have the gasser unit i have the h-4. i really like it but i like the gassification units also went with what everyone around here has.. i would like to see one of these units sometime. i just like to get on here and learn and talk about this stuff i just dont know anything about it thats all thank you for your comments

Well hang around here if this stuff facinates you. Lots of guys that aren't just smart, but been there done that. Think of your hardy like a bass boat.... Maybe in a few years something fancier will catch you eye.

Someone just bought a boiler like mine new for $5900 from new horizons.

TheTarm Solo Innova 50 was $8950 by itself from BioHeat USA (now Tarm Biomass) three years ago. There are a lot of other expenses to add in to do an install. High enders like the Garns and Frolings go over the $10,000 mark. The good news is that the installation eventually pays for itself.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.