Gassin' on slab wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

Jan 10, 2009
Central Me
I just bought some slab wood from a pallet manufacturer for $95 a cord, and I have to admit, it has me scratching my head a little over all the work I put into rollin' my own. This is all hardwood, and the vast majority are of a size that I can simply toss in the Tarm. It's quite green now, but it still burns when I mix it with the last of my dry wood. It does seem like a really good fuel for the price for a gasifier.

lots of bark in a cord of slabs though. bet you have a lot of ash. not saying it's not worth it.. but something to watch.

JP

That's what I've been burning the last two years. Oak. Cut it 24" long. I can pick out my bundles at the mill. Small stuff, big stuff. I get a bundle of small stuff and I got enough kindling for a couple years. Thicker slabs I split with my Swisher. And like you say, most are a good size and can go right in the stove.

Good economical heat. Easy to work with. I have a rack set up so I can cut several 8' pieces at a time at a consistent 24".
I do woodworking for a hobby and there are some nice project pieces in those slabs.

there is a possibility that this wood will become very dry. If you get super dry wood with lots of surface area like slab wood, you could experience chuffing / puffing. This puffing happens when the boiler is producing more wood gas than it can combust in the secondary. Not trying to steer you away from slab wood at all, just something to be on the look out for.

We can buy de-barked slab wood here for $25 a bundle. The bundles are about 3' high 4' wide and 8-10' long. It is super clean wood, no dirt, bugs, or bark.

It has a lot of small stuff that I separate out for starting fires.

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.