Gave away the last of my firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cuttingedge

Nov 11, 2013
Maine
Since we are moving to Maine in a few weeks I had to clear my current property of whatever firewood that I had.
Two weeks ago I loaded my parents up with 10 cords and my brother got 4.
This weekend my parents got an additional 4 cords and my brother got 2.
I am glad that my parents don't have to worry about firewood for a while but I am sad that I could not take some with me.
Here are some pics of the last load leaving my house.

Attachments

• lastwood.jpg
    lastwood.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 355
  • lastwood2.jpg
    lastwood2.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 318
Yes, but he's moving to Maine....beautiful state! He'll have to burn pallets or standing dead....

I am very thankful that the last three times that I was up at the house I cut/ split/ stacked a few cords of standing dead and downed trees.
Hopefully I make it through the winter. It did hurt a little to give the wood away but at the same time it was good to help my parents out and it feels good knowing that they won't have to buy wood for a few years. My brother however owes me a few favors.

I am very happy to be moving to Maine

Where are you moving from??

For sure it had to be tough giving that wood away but definitely good that your folks got lots of it. That was kind on your part. Congratulations on the move and we hope it works out well for you.

Reactions: PapaDave
Man, looks like you picked the wrong time of the year to move. Looks like this winter is going back to normal. We got spoiled for few years but to date, its definitely felt more like traditional winter, cold and snowy.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
For sure it had to be tough giving that wood away but definitely good that your folks got lots of it. That was kind on your part. Congratulations on the move and we hope it works out well for you.

Thank You,
like I said I am glad that my parents got taken care of. They only burn in a fireplace for looks and not for heat so it should last them a few years.

Man, looks like you picked the wrong time of the year to move. Looks like this winter is going back to normal. We got spoiled for few years but to date, its definitely felt more like traditional winter, cold and snowy.

I love the cold and snow. I sold my Landscaping/ Snow Removal business so I am looking forward to actually enjoying the snow and not seeing it from my windshield for hours on end. I will probably start the same type of business up in Maine but look forward to a little time off. I will also be selling firewood as of next year. I made a point of keeping most of my equipment so that I can easily start up again.

Reactions: Beer Belly
It is better giving it away than selling it with the house. You won't get anything for it during a house sell.

Plenty of demand for your services if you are in the prosperous part of the state.

Best wishes for as smooth a move as possible (never a really easy thing to do). Rick

What part of Maine are you moving too, just spent some time up around Danforth and Mars Hill for a work trip.

Plenty of demand for your services if you are in the prosperous part of the state.

We are outside of Bucksport. I am hopeful that with Landscaping and Firewood I will be able to make a decent living. I am going to start with the firewood as soon as we get situated. To me it has always been money in the bank as the demand was pretty high were I am. Hopefully the same is true for Maine.

Thank you for all the well wishes. We will be going up on the 11th of January with another 26' Uhaul as well as my pick-up and trailer with some more of my equipment. Unfortunately I am going to have to come back to get my other truck and the last of my equipment soon after we get settled. I will let everyone know when I am in the house permanently and the fireplace and wood stove are going.

Good luck with the move. My Sister moved to Maine (Old Orchad Beach) from New York (Newburgh) 2 years ago, and loves it

If you live in Maine and you don't like to fish, hunt, or cut fire wood you will be bored.;)

I love the cold and snow. I sold my Landscaping/ Snow Removal business so I am looking forward to actually enjoying the snow and not seeing it from my windshield for hours on end. I will probably start the same type of business up in Maine but look forward to a little time off. I will also be selling firewood as of next year. I made a point of keeping most of my equipment so that I can easily start up again.

It may be a tough go . . . lots of folks up this way do landscaping in the summer and plowing in the winter. That said, I'm not all that sure of what competition would be like in the Bucksport area.

In any case, come on up . . . -13 this morning and we must have over 2 feet of snow on the ground . . . a lot of it is powder though so it should pack down soon . . . actually, I take that back . . . I think we may only have 1 1/2 feet of snow . . . the ice storm helped pack some it down . . . think you missed quite the experience with the Ice Storm of 2013 though . . . seemed as though this storm really set in and walloped the counties around Penobscot Bay.

What part of Maine are you moving too, just spent some time up around Danforth and Mars Hill for a work trip.

Not a whole lot up that way except for wind turbines . . . and potato and broccoli fields. Remind me again . . . what do you do Old Spark?

Personally, I like the County . . . a lot. Great place to visit. Great folks as well.

We are outside of Bucksport. I am hopeful that with Landscaping and Firewood I will be able to make a decent living. I am going to start with the firewood as soon as we get situated. To me it has always been money in the bank as the demand was pretty high were I am. Hopefully the same is true for Maine.

Again, sadly . . . a lot of folks seem to cut wood so there will be competition. That said, I'm betting if you are able to sell seasoned wood and really promote it right to folks who need seasoned wood for their EPA stoves that you could make a nice niche for yourself as most of the folks selling firewood seem to take the "easy" route (not that it is easy work) and just sell unseasoned wood.

Good luck with the move. My Sister moved to Maine (Old Orchad Beach) from New York (Newburgh) 2 years ago, and loves it

HehHeh . . . technically OOB is in Maine . . . but honestly . . . I went there once and found it about as appealing as having my prostate checked. In my own opinion, to truly experience Maine once must travel across the Penobscot Narrows Bridge or head up to The County.

I was up there for the wind turbines.

I thought so . . . when you mentioned both Danforth and Mars Hill. Been to both places . . . Mars Hill on the ATV . . . you could get pretty close to the turbines . . . and Danforth about a month ago while doing some geocaching in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.