Gazebo lighting/ occupancy switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vbu

Feeling the Heat
Mar 3, 2019
MS
Hi all,

I am looking to add an outlet and some lights to my covered gazebo, and I can't quite find what I'm looking for.

I am looking for a motion sensor that I also can trigger with a switch. I've found numerous wall plates that have motion sensor and a switch combined, but those are all indoor rated. I am looking for an outdoor rated product, because even though it is covered, it could still get splashed.

I looked into the lutron stuff with an external wireless motion sensor, but I couldn't quite piece it together to make it work, I got kind of lost.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas!

Edit: I'm not looking for a security light, but to activate an outlet through a motion sensor and have the option for a switch as well. Looking to hang up string lights. I can probably find a motion sensor that works, but would prefer if it was a motion sensor and switch in one so I don't have to have a separate box for the motion sensor.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am looking to add an outlet and some lights to my covered gazebo, and I can't quite find what I'm looking for.

I am looking for a motion sensor that I also can trigger with a switch. I've found numerous wall plates that have motion sensor and a switch combined, but those are all indoor rated. I am looking for an outdoor rated product, because even though it is covered, it could still get splashed.

I looked into the lutron stuff with an external wireless motion sensor, but I couldn't quite piece it together to make it work, I got kind of lost.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas!
The motion sensor security lights have the option to turn on and stay on with a switch. Some you double or triple flick the switch and that stay on.

The motion sensor security lights have the option to turn on and stay on with a switch. Some you double or triple flick the switch and that stay on.
I probably didn't give enough information in my initial post. I am not looking for a motion activated light, more of a motion activated outlet that I wire up myself for string lights. I'll edit my original post to clarify.

Still not what you are looking for but: Amazon product ASIN B09YGVNP6WThen you can use the motion sensing light fixture to power the string lights.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever seena motion activated outlet but with newer smart devices, almost anything is possible. Thinking about this a bit more...you could use a smart Leviton motion sensing switch and Leviton smart plug with the lights plugged into it. The switch wouldn't need to be wired to control anything, just wired for power. It will trigger an event when motion is sensed. This event can then trigger the plug to turn on and off. I think you can do this in the Leviton app. If not the app, ifttt.com can definitely put it all together.

If this is truly under a covered gazebo, and facing "in" to the gazebo, then I think you could get away with using an indoor rated motion switch without any issues.

Alternatively, you can get the motion sensor portion of a security light (search "outdoor PIR sensor" on google) and wire that into a KO on the bottom of your switch box. Then wire it either in series or parallel with the switch depending how you want it to behave.

Alternatively, you can get the motion sensor portion of a security light (search "outdoor PIR sensor" on google) and wire that into a KO on the bottom of your switch box. Then wire it either in series or parallel with the switch depending how you want it to behave.
Yeah, this is my plan B, I'm considering trying the indoor rated ones first and see how that works out. Thanks!

I don't think I've ever seena motion activated outlet but with newer smart devices, almost anything is possible. Thinking about this a bit more...you could use a smart Leviton motion sensing switch and Leviton smart plug with the lights plugged into it. The switch wouldn't need to be wired to control anything, just wired for power. It will trigger an event when motion is sensed. This event can then trigger the plug to turn on and off. I think you can do this in the Leviton app. If not the app, ifttt.com can definitely put it all together.
Right, I found the Leviton smart plug, outdoor rated. The switch is where I'm not sure. I've never messed with the Leviton stuff before. I'll try to do some more research on them. Do you know if they have any outdoor rated switches?

Edit, I was reading about the Lutron, I think that's what you meant as well

Last edited:
I probably didn't give enough information in my initial post. I am not looking for a motion activated light, more of a motion activated outlet that I wire up myself for string lights. I'll edit my original post to c
Right, I found the Leviton smart plug, outdoor rated. The switch is where I'm not sure. I've never messed with the Leviton stuff before. I'll try to do some more research on them. Do you know if they have any outdoor rated switches?

Edit, I was reading about the Lutron, I think that's what you meant as well
I installed indoor switches in an outdoor box with cover. They don’t get wet where they are. Been 5 years no problems.

Reactions: vbu